Emby subtitles and lag problem.

Bagufr

Hello,

I am using emby 4.7.14.0 on a Nas Synology DS1819+ server with DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3.
Everything works except for one detail.
The subtitles.
They are perfectly recognised and read on my PC and TV, except if they are anime subtitles.
In that case, they don't appear at all if I choose smart subtitles. And the video is so jerky that it's unreadable with permanent subtitles.
I'm reluctant to buy an Emby premier licence.
I've read that it improves transcoding, hardware acceleration and subtitle support.
But as it's quite a lot of money, I'd like your opinion on the situation before taking the plunge.

P.S.: For your information, subtitles work perfectly with synology video station.

Thank you for your attention.

OK so you're saying this is an issue in the Emby samsung app? How does the web app compare on the server machine?

Same problem if i use my laptop but not so laggy on my desktop pc.

I don't have the problem on classic movies. I try with the harry potter saga, and subtitles are ok whenever the display mode and method i use.

Do you want the logs when i use harry potter ?

Edited by Bagufr
Add question

The video launch after 1-3 minutes, play 15-20 secondes, stop again 15-20 seconds...In a loop...
As soon as i remove the subtitle display, it work fine without any delay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ! I got it !
When i tik Allow subtitles to be extracted on the fly, video playback is very smooth, but I no longer have subtitles on my videos on my Samsung TV. (No problem if I play the same video on a PC).
However, when I uncheck the box, the video takes between 15 and 45 seconds to start up, but with subtitles.video playback is very smooth, but I no longer have subtitles on my videos on my Samsung TV.

Buying emby premiere greatly reduces latency, but this is probably due to transcoding optimisations.

I'll give it a try (I didn't know it existed).
As soon as I've found the information I need to implement this solution, I'll let you know.

Hello and Merry Christmas!
I did the update this morning. The first tests are quite conclusive.
I'm going to test it over several days, but it's very encouraging.
Thank you so much for your help and responsiveness.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I tested this with a number of video files with subtitles. For the first 5 to 10 seconds, they don't always appear, and the video can jerk a bit.
After this time, everything is impeccable and the videos are fluid and display the subtitles well.