Android TV - Firmware Update - Emby Judder

Convoluted Mind

Convoluted Mind

Hi All,

Please excuse my long post. I am not overly technical so have tried my best to do as much troubleshooting and research as I can.

Recently my TV (Sony Bravia KD49xh9505) has completed an Android Update to Version 10.

Problem Summary
Since this update, Emby is displaying judder in certain movies on my media server.

It does not impact all video files. All my media is able to direct play to my TV (checked using the stats for nerds).

Fairly large/high quality files are playing perfectly fine. The vast majority of my library is playing perfectly fine.

Troubleshooting Attempted

* Play largest files I have (Documentaries - 4K). Plays perfectly fine. No judder at all.

* Disabled subtitiles in App - No change.

* Ensure downmix audio is enabled - No change.

* Reset the emby app by completely uninstalling - No change.

* Sideloaded the Emby Android TV app - No change.

* Reset the TV completely - No change.

* Test on other devices - Works perfectly fine.

* Enable DLNA server on Emby - Test through TV. Impacted files work perfectly fine.

* Ensure network is stable, transfer large files and emby server network is saturated over long periods with no drops.

* Disable firewall on server - No change.

What I have noticed is that it mainly impacts kids movies (weird), All my impacted movies seem to have a bit rate of 2MB/s. If I set the quality to 2MB/s manually in the app it forces ecoding and the judder dissapears. But doing so means the quality isn't great and ffmpeg needs more CPU resource on my server.

Example impacted movie.

Minions.mp4

Video Details = Codec - x265, Bit Depth - 10, Bit Rate 1.9MB/s, FPS 23.976

Audio Details = Channels - 5.1, Codec - AAC, Bit Rate 218.8KB/s, Strreams - 1

Any thoughts on what might be the cause? Weird that it is small files causing the issue. They worked flawleslly prior to the update of Android on the TV.

If I need to provide further info. Please let me know.

Edited by Convoluted Mind
Added further info

Hi.  What is the frame rate of one of the ones that doesn't have the issue (the FPS number)?

What mode is your display set to?

Convoluted Mind
16 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What is the frame rate of one of the ones that doesn't have the issue (the FPS number)?

What mode is your display set to?

The same on other items that work correctly.

I haven't tried all modes including gaming. With no change at all to the problem.

Really odd as none of these files had an issue previously!

2 hours ago, Convoluted Mind said:

I haven't tried all modes including gaming

Hi.  Not picture mode but display resolution and refresh rate?

Convoluted Mind
On 09/12/2023 at 16:27, ebr said:

Hi.  Not picture mode but display resolution and refresh rate?

I am not sure of a way to check this to be honest. Doesn't seem to be anything built into the TV. As mentioned before the same files play perfectly fine through DLNA. I have tried changing the TV modes a number of times through LDNA as my understanding is that cinema forces 24fps. But it makes no difference.

Through Emby - Judder.

Anything else - Perfectly fine.

I downloaded VLC and set it to external player in Emby. The files play fine through this also!

Convoluted Mind

Just in case it makes any difference.

I fired up my old Plex server as I still have a subscription and it can just be pointed at my media storage.

All files played perfectly fine and without judder, same TV, same files. So I am now at a complete loss as to what the problem could be!

On 12/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, Convoluted Mind said:

Hi Luke,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

I have just sideloaded the app. Exactly the same behaviour with this one too.

HI, what version number did you try?

Convoluted Mind
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, what version number did you try?

Hey Luke,

I tried version 3.3.49 from what I can see on the TV.

On 12/11/2023 at 1:55 PM, Convoluted Mind said:

Hey Luke,

I tried version 3.3.49 from what I can see on the TV.

Did you try enabling the options in the app to match refresh rate and/or resolution?

Convoluted Mind
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you try enabling the options in the app to match refresh rate and/or resolution?

I did (could only find them in the android side load version).

It hasn't made any difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Convoluted Mind
On 26/12/2023 at 05:44, Luke said:

HI @Convoluted Mindcan you try the latest version of the sideload build as it has an updated video player:

Hey Luke.

I have tried side loading and fiddling with settings (refresh rate/resolution matching). Still the same issue unfortunately.

Version 3.3.56

In an attempt to fix the issue outside of Emby. I converted a test file from .MP4 to .mkv using mkvtoolnix (as it is the only thing I know how to use!)

Just a very simple add file. And save without fiddling with any settings. This seems to have worked for a few test files and it took about 4 minutes per file.

Interestingly Emby plays the converted file perfectly fine no judder at all. Even though the audio/video stats are exactly the same in the stats for nerds section. Still direct playing.

I will need to convert around 50-70 files from what I have seen. But it's somewhat of a fix at least.

More than happy to keep one of the juddery files around to test if it helps?