Emby freezes when playing Live TV

spankys97

spankys97

When  a national TV program, like CNN or Fox News, goes to commercial break the stream will freeze.  It will actually play a few national commercials, but appears to freeze when our local business commercials start playing.  You can restart the stream and it will start again until the next commercial break.  Again, the national commercials play fine, but almost as if the national networks hand off to our local stations to play commercials of local business and the stream freezes during this hand off.  I have included logs.  Thank you

ffmpeg-transcode-c5996e46-6aa8-4775-bfbb-9bc9a517531e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-145102be-e99f-4dba-8a18-e8bce7561fe0_1.txt embyserver.txt

spankys97

When  a national TV program, like CNN or Fox News, goes to commercial break the stream will freeze.  It will actually play a few national commercials, but appears to freeze when our local business commercials start playing.  You can restart the stream and it will start again until the next commercial break.  Again, the national commercials play fine, but almost as if the national networks hand off to our local stations to play commercials of local business and the stream freezes during this hand off.  I have included logs.  Thank you

ffmpeg-transcode-c5996e46-6aa8-4775-bfbb-9bc9a517531e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-145102be-e99f-4dba-8a18-e8bce7561fe0_1.txt embyserver.txt

What are you using for your live tv input? if it is an m3u provider don't post the name just say it's an m3u provider.

As a test copy the url from your stream and paste it in vlc and see if it still does this.

Edited by Woken

spankys97

I am using windows 7 WMC with Ceton 4 tuner card , Server WMC then to Emby.  It only seems to have the issue when watching live cable TV.  If I watch an over the air local channel with another tuner, that channel will play with out any issues. Thank you for your help

I have not used that tuner before myself 'ceton 4 tuner' I will look it up and post back.

On 12/18/2023 at 3:02 AM, spankys97 said:

I am using windows 7 WMC with Ceton 4 tuner card , Server WMC then to Emby.  It only seems to have the issue when watching live cable TV.  If I watch an over the air local channel with another tuner, that channel will play with out any issues. Thank you for your help

Looks like a twisted version of an HDhomerun will see what I can find out, cheers!

These are outdated yet xploitable, I will be digging deep into these tuners will add one on my emby server just to see how good they are.

image.png

spankys97

It is actually called " Ceton InfiniTV 4".  The 4 meaning 4 tuners.  They do require you to obtain a cable card from your local cable provider.  As an experiment, I  started Windows Media Center on the same computer I am running Emby server, tuned to channel 638.At the same time I started the Emby app on my phone and tuned to 638, at commercial break WMC continued to play, but the Emby app stopped.  This confirms to me there is an issue with Emby.  I have also noticed channel 38, which is the SD version of 638HD, stops and starts during play back of this live channel.  I find this puzzling, as I thought a SD channel would be easier to play then an HD or UHD.  Thanks again

Have you ever used TVheadend? it is the only way myself I can test this and it does work very good but I am not able to test in network.

Installed TVheadend on a linux ubuntu box that has ceton running on same network but it's a laptop so it won't stay 24/7 but in my emby I loaded the TVheadend and it does work good no lag on my end so I dunno what to tell you.

Sorta reminds me of HDhomerun but the laptop I hacked is a ryzen 9 so all good.

Edited by Woken

spankys97

Lag is not the issue.  Again the issue is after watching a live TV channel for say 20 minutes and the TV program takes a commercial break Emby freezes and the only way to get it started again is to completely back out of the emby app, restart it and tune back to your channel.  Very annoying.

• Agree 1

Yeah that's all emby, for hosted content emby is great but for live tv it's crap. Sad but yeah this is what we put up with.

I'm starting to realize that emby is shit and I should start looking elsewhere.

Tired of hearing my wife say 'The tv is froze again'.

the hell with this

Edited by Woken

emveepee

I've analyzed a lot of CableCard streams and the time stamps can be really bad, to the point the ffmpeg -c copy etc don't fix them and a remux to mp4 is needed for skipping.  I know the TVNext documentation say that Emby does fix timestamps but perhaps it is not up to the task.  Also most clients would not be able to Direct Play them if that is what you are using.  ExoPlayer (media3) on Android is usually pretty good for mpeg-ts but not for CableCard.

As for for WMC it create .wtv files and doesn't really on the mpeg-ts timestamps so you can't compare them at all.

Martin