Sync/dual play tv & phone please

averon

Hello devs & community,

I'd like to ask for a feature, where you can play media on phone and TV simultaneously. Often I like to watch something on the bigger TV than my phone, but still want the audio via my phone so I can use my headphones and mute the TV. Right now I do it manually and it's a hassle every time.

What I do:

1. connect with Emby on my phone to the Chromecast of my TV
  2. start the episode and pause after 1 second (not earlier, otherwise step 5 doesn't work)
  3. disconnect my phone from TV but keep the app running
  4. start the same episode on my phone and pause it
  5. use the remote of my TV and hdmi cec and press play while pressing play on my phone
  6. adjust back and forth, till I get everything in sync
  7. SkipIntro kicks in, but only on my phone
  8. repeat step 6
  9. start all over on the next episode

What I would like:

1. Open Emby on my phone, connect to Chromecast and select dualplay/syncplay
  2. Emby on my phone will auto sync the progress with the Chromecast TV
  3. enjoy watching stuff on my phone and the TV at the same time

Please make this possible, it's literally the only feature I've been waiting for years.

Hi. I'm almost positive there is a request for this already but I cannot find it.  This one is highly related:

For right now, if you have an Android phone, can't you use it's "cast my screen" feature to accomplish what you want?

26 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. I'm almost positive there is a request for this already but I cannot find it.  This one is highly related:

For right now, if you have an Android phone, can't you use it's "cast my screen" feature to accomplish what you want

Hi ebr,

I am also very positive that about 2015 I talked to one of the devs about just keeping the audio at the phone, like Roku and stream the video to Chromecast. IIRC they said, they will think about it, as the API technically support this. I might be wrong. I am keep jumping back and forth between jelly, Plex and Emby cause neither really satisfy my needs. Generally I like Emby the most and over the last year I had often the need for that dual play feature, but since few months almost every night. So that's why I am here again to request dual play. I searched the forum for many times and after the 3rd time of timeout I decided to create a new thread. In the hope to finally get all Emby user that awesome feature.

About the cast my screen option, sadly I can't. Also, this would only work if you stream to a Chromecast, not to another Emby client (web/Kodi).

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes, multicast support is planned for future updates. Thanks.

Oh I am glad to hear that. Wondering, is there any ETA for that, maybe a roadmap?