ATV User Switching

Spritzup

Spritzup

Hi All,

As always, I want to start by saying amazing job on the app.  I briefly flirted with the idea of jumping back to Plex due to their more broader eco-system and the integration with ATV, but it couldn't do the most basic job of a media server... stream media.  Files that it would struggle with, Emby would play fine.  So back I come.

The only two things that (for my use case) that Plex did much better than Emby are related to parental controls.  The first I can work around, but Plex offers separate settings for TV and Film ratings, whereas Emby lumps them together.  At the same time, I'm not sure where Emby pulls the Parental Ratings from, but they don't always seem accurate.

The other, and much bigger issue, is that app never prompts for user login unless it's forced close.  This means if myself or my wife watch something in our account, they never log out.  This basically defeats the purpose of parental controls.  I understand the challenge of TVOS, and how an app never "exits", but this is something that Plex was able to solve.  It could even be a clunky solution where if the account is idle for 'x' time, then the app will logout.  This can either be enabled with a toggle and/or if the account has a pin associated with it.

In any case, thanks again for a great app!

~Spritz

At the same time, I'm not sure where Emby pulls the Parental Ratings from, but they don't always seem accurate.

Hi, the answer to this is your highest priority metadata fetcher on each of your libraries.

The other, and much bigger issue, is that app never prompts for user login unless it's forced close.

hi, have you taken a look at the settings in the app? It has options to control this.

Spritzup

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply!  I've looked up and down the settings in the app, and can't for the life of me find it.  What specific settings am I looking for, and what should they be set to to enable the functionality I'd like?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Spritzup said:

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply!  I've looked up and down the settings in the app, and can't for the life of me find it.  What specific settings am I looking for, and what should they be set to to enable the functionality I'd like?

Thanks!

Do you see this "Remember Me:" option, or are you logged in using an Emby Connect login?

image.png.a750caceca340727f93736693c72b183.png

4 minutes ago, Spritzup said:

Hi @SamES, I see the "Remember me" option.  I have it set to "no".

~Spritz

Then if you close the app and open it, it should ask you to login.

I suspect the issue is that between sessions, you're not actually closing the app, AppleTV is just switching apps and leaving Emby running in the background.

Try this.  Load the app switcher (double press the Home button), swipe left/right to focus the Emby app then swipe/arrow up to dismiss and close the app.

What happens after this if you open Emby?

Spritzup

Hi Sam,

Yes, that absolutely works and is what I noted in my initial post.  However, under Plex this works without having to force close.

Is it possible to have an auto logout after 'x' time of inactivity?

~Spritz

Spritzup

Perfect, thank you guys.  It's hard to say that Emby has parental controls when the only way to get it to work is to force close the app, and even then the top shelf shows what was being watched.

Thanks!

~Spritz

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/12/2023 at 16:02, 27k said:

Perhaps that is interesting. In tvOS you can change the user and apps can also use this.

Supporting Multiple Users in Your tvOS App

Store separate data for each user with the new Runs as Current User capability.

The app already does this, I use it and I absolutely LOVE that Emby has this.