Navigation/UI is weird on 4.1.0

SDMattman
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

SDMattman

4.1.0 changed the way TV shows are navigated, with seasons appearing as a ribbon at the top and individual episode navigating going horizontal rather than vertical. It much less intuitive to navigate now.

I haven't tried the movies section yet so I can't comment on it.

Is there a way to get the old UI back?

Emby version 4.7.13.0 running on Ubuntu

Edited by SDMattman
include emby server verison
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, SDMattman said:

with seasons appearing as a ribbon at the top and individual episode navigating going horizontal rather than vertical. It much less intuitive to navigate now.

Hi. This actually matches a lot of other interfaces out there today so should be familiar to many.

However, if you don't like it, there is a setting in the app display settings.  Did you look there?

• Solution

The new method is a way to combine the "next up episode" and "more in season" rows together. It provides better navigation to get to episodes without the need to load a new screen every time. You can get to all episodes from the single detail screen.

The episode row will move your focus to the next up episode when it first gains focus. After it does this try moving focus onto the season tabs instead of the episode row. You can also give focus to the season tabs instead of the episode row. When the season tabs has focus you can manually change the season and it will reflect onto the episode row below. You can also then press OK on the focused season tab. After you press OK on a season tab it will load that season up into a new screen with the old vertical display format.

You can also use the option suggested in the post above to change this entirely back to the old way which will have a row with season folders.

dev.thumb.jpg.f9361f6e8f378abc35bddfe9754e4505.jpg

In the display section of the settings.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

SDMattman

Thanks! That did it.

I've also noticed that TV Shows no longer display the title in the upper left hand side of the screen when you're on the tile view of shows.

• Thanks 1

fraenhawk

Thanks, this helped me as well. I don't mind the new interface, but unfortunately the merged view is ignoring the Display missing episodes checkbox. I verified that it's off at the user and library level (and everything is working as normal on the web interface) but the new Roku interface is showing "Future" episodes now that the web interface is not. Switching it to Always shows season folders corrects this. If the "Future" episodes issue is fixed, maybe I'll give the merged view a shot again.

13 hours ago, fraenhawk said:

Thanks, this helped me as well. I don't mind the new interface, but unfortunately the merged view is ignoring the Display missing episodes checkbox.

This won't be an issue anymore in the upcoming 4.8 server release

SDMattman
On 12/14/2023 at 7:32 PM, fraenhawk said:

Thanks, this helped me as well. I don't mind the new interface, but unfortunately the merged view is ignoring the Display missing episodes checkbox. I verified that it's off at the user and library level (and everything is working as normal on the web interface) but the new Roku interface is showing "Future" episodes now that the web interface is not. Switching it to Always shows season folders corrects this. If the "Future" episodes issue is fixed, maybe I'll give the merged view a shot again.

I had an issue where the episodes on the ribbon view wouldn't play when selected.  I don't know if it was playing the next unplayed one or what - but it insisted on playing the wrong episode no matter what I picked.  I'll play with it some more so I can more accurately document the conditions.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SDMattman said:

I had an issue where the episodes on the ribbon view wouldn't play when selected.  I don't know if it was playing the next unplayed one or what - but it insisted on playing the wrong episode no matter what I picked.  I'll play with it some more so I can more accurately document the conditions.

Yes. If you press PLAY on the episodes in that ribbon view it presently isn't acting right. When you press Ok and enter the detail view and use the play button icon to play it acts correctly. We will be fixing this and I will put the problem on our issue tracker.

Reference: Issue #1545: [DetailView] Cannot using PLAY button to play episodes from the "single row episode view"

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

SDMattman
3 minutes ago, speechles said:

When you press Ok and enter the detail view and use the play button icon to play it acts correctly. We will be fixing this and I will put the problem on our issue tracker.

Thanks,  this issue combined with the new UI pissed off wifey something fierce.  She was like "There's now 12 clicks I gotta do to play the damn show, how is an upgrade?".  Things are better now with the "Always show season folders" option.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SDMattman said:

Thanks,  this issue combined with the new UI pissed off wifey something fierce.  She was like "There's now 12 clicks I gotta do to play the damn show, how is an upgrade?".  Things are better now with the "Always show season folders" option.

HI, we're looking into this. Thanks for reporting.