Need upgrade or not? 5700g igpu vs intel arc a380

wizard8080

wizard8080

Hi guys,

I'm using emby server since more or less a year ago with super basic hardware configuration just to play at home and sometimes transcoding (only software) using it on my smartphone. Now i need more and I maked a new build with Ryzen 5700g and enabling hardware transcoding, obiviously  the feeling is better!

Now I have two choice stay as is or add an intel arc a380 that has good price. I read that if i decide to buy it I need to switch to emby 4.8 beta that is not a problem but, where i can download it? 

I'll get extra benefits adding the a380 or can I stay with 5700g? 

Hello wizard8080,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

jaycedk

If this server is only for you, and some transcoding.

I would think you would be ok, as long its not 4K media.

It might even handel that in software.

Try that first, if that does not work.

Add the Arc GPU, and correct you will need to be on 4.8 Beta to use the Arc GPU.

Its bad business to buy the Arc if you don't use it 😁

RanmaCanada

The 5700g will do the job, though poorly.  AMD has horrible quality for transcoding in hardware, so you may just want to tell the server to do software transcoding.  The Arc A380, or even the A310 will run circles around your iGPU in your 5700G, but as the other user says, if it's only for you, it may be a waste of money.  In retrospec, you should have built a system with an intel i3-12100.

wizard8080

Hy Guys, thank you for the answers

Yes the build is just for me and for my family. 

18 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

AMD has horrible quality for transcoding in hardware,

You say horrible in terms of quality of the transcoded video or is horrible in terms of performance?

On 12/3/2023 at 2:53 PM, jaycedk said:

would think you would be ok, as long its not 4K media.

What do you mean, I transcoded 4k video to 1080p 10Mbps without problems, the cpu loading was about 25%, I think that it was transcoding audio 

If i decide to upgrade the system with a dedicated video card the a380 is a good option or can i go with any nvidia to avoid the problem with the beta version of emby? 

jaycedk
2 minutes ago, wizard8080 said:

What do you mean, I transcoded 4k video to 1080p 10Mbps without problems, the cpu loading was about 25%, I think that it was transcoding audio

Then you are set, and have no need to a GPU atm, which would also increase you electric bill.

4 minutes ago, wizard8080 said:

If i decide to upgrade the system with a dedicated video card the a380 is a good option or can i go with any nvidia to avoid the problem with the beta version of emby? 

An used 1050 should do it fore you.

Not sure how much better that would be, when your CPU can lift the load right now.

19 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

In retrospec, you should have built a system with an intel i3-12100.

Just to add to this, Intel iGPU is the king of transcoding.

RanmaCanada

@wizard8080AMD has horrible transcoding quality.  It goes software>Intel Quicksync>NVENC>potato>AMD.

https://rigaya.github.io/vq_results/

Just so you can see in regards to quality.  From the charts you can see that for AMD to get the same quality, it needs over twice the bitrate as everything else.

The Arc A380 would be a perfect card as it uses Quicksync.  Other users here have it and have great sucess with it now (and even more when 4.8 is officially released)

Edited by RanmaCanada

wizard8080
On 12/7/2023 at 6:38 AM, RanmaCanada said:

AMD has horrible transcoding quality

I noticed if i direct play to maximum quality 4k 160Mbps colors are perfect but i start to reproduce at 1080 10mps (or even 20) and in general at 1080 i get horrible colors. Desaturated yellow like a photo under the sunlight. Enabling tone mapping of hdr but nothing change. Is this the bad quality that you are referring? 

The arc a380 is arriving at amazon locker 😃 and i just updated to 4.8 beta

Edited by wizard8080

RanmaCanada
8 hours ago, wizard8080 said:

I noticed if i direct play to maximum quality 4k 160Mbps colors are perfect but i start to reproduce at 1080 10mps (or even 20) and in general at 1080 i get horrible colors. Desaturated yellow like a photo under the sunlight. Enabling tone mapping of hdr but nothing change. Is this the bad quality that you are referring? 

The arc a380 is arriving at amazon locker 😃 and i just updated to 4.8 beta

4k transcoding even with tone mapping is not perfect.  It is why people are told to never transcode 4k.  In regards to quality, as I linked above, it needs far more bitrate to create the same quality as Intel Arc or regular quicksync.  So if you're on data and trying to watch content on your phone, you will eat through your quota more than twice as fast with AMD doing the transcoding in hardware than you would with either quicksync or software transcoding.

• Like 1