See other people watch, like Now Playing in dashboard, but for public

Riezel

as per title said, is it possible to move this

image.png.03b1d6eb9a0099c3f3bf3d0dd014d3d5.png

section into the home screen, so everyone can see it? like in some category / section, Now Playing for example

and it just listing the episode and users info, as minimum

this is not history ones (i've seen the history plugins in the forums) but more to real time ones, since it's help user engagement and all user can see it (without admin access involved, and no need to go to dashboard)

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

Hi, we've floated around the idea internally of turning them into widgets so that you can design your own screen. You never know.

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, we've floated around the idea internally of turning them into widgets so that you can design your own screen. You never know.

ah i see, it's good if there is widget support later, but its not implemented yet right on stable channel ? my server version currently, 4.7.14.0

strichmo

I think this is a great idea and could elevate Emby into the spotlight if you combine it with the ability to click a button in the widget to start watching the same media from the same point - It is suddenly a very intuitive co-watching experience.

• Facepalm 1

Junglejim

This has to be the worst idea I've ever seen!! There is a place for this and that's the admin dashboard.. For heavens sake please forget this or put to the bottom of the pile, never to be seen again! Stupid.. Stupid.. people.. 😆

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

crusher11

Plex got a lot of media coverage recently for having this feature, because users absolutely hated it and it caused a massive backlash.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 3

darkassassin07

A big part of that backlash was the feature being opt-out. Many users were unaware their watch history was being sent to others, potentially exposing interests they wouldn't share themselves.

Putting it in a pop-up that people tend to click past, with the option already enabled was their major issue.

The plex feature also relies on sending newsletters when activation was not intended (you had to change the option when the popup appeared, otherwise the option activated itself). This was a problem for many people. It's not necessarily directly related to the feature request.

If the administrator can choose who sees what and when, and the end user can also choose to see what the administrator has authorized, I don't see what the problem is.

And it can come in handy when a parent wants to know what their child is watching (And that he is not the server administrator) (for example). Which is far from stupid......

Edited by Bagul
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bagul said:

The plex feature also relies on sending newsletters when activation was not intended (you had to change the option when the popup appeared, otherwise the option activated itself). This was a problem for many people. It's not necessarily directly related to the feature request.

If the administrator can choose who sees what and when, and the end user can also choose to see what the administrator has authorized, I don't see what the problem is.

And it can come in handy when a parent wants to know what their child is watching (And that he is not the server administrator) (for example). Which is far from stupid......

yeah, this is exactly what i mean to, and since luke already said its' being a widget

i assume its already has configurable option, like "which parameter displayed in end user" (shows / movies, user, start time, etc)
there is lot of use case, for this. And as for the privacy issue is, it's up to each own administrator who setup the widget (as long it's configurable in setting, to enable this or not / even it's per user based settings)