Wake on lan on M1 Mac mini (specific to emby)

NitDawg
Go to solution Solved by NitDawg,

I've attached the recent log to see if anyone could help

2023-12-02 23:19:18.448 Error PortMapper: Error in GetSpecificMappingAsync

I've seen a few posts in here, but not sure what the actual solution is? (its not sleep/wake settings on server)

Numerous clients (appleTV, android, web) cannot connect to Mac emby server from sleep. Other apps can wake, it is specific to emby. Anything in the log helpful?

Thanks in advance!

embyserver.txt

Hi, web apps can't wake a machine, so that is expected.

Did you try using the wake server command from Emby for Apple TV or android?

• 2 months later...
NitDawg

Still struggling on 4.8 with a macOS Server and appleTV client (which is my primary interface). Same behavior on web interface as well.

M1 server on 14.3.1 (fresh install of OS and Emby 4.8).

The only way to resolve the issue: restart Emby server (or kill process, or restart server)

I've attached a log where it starts with the issues (around 6:29 AM) ends with a server restart and everything up and running (around 6:58 AM).

What triggers the issue: inactivity

I thought it was a wake-from-lan issue, but that's not it. I think its some port mapping issues maybe?

Describing the behavior:

• Server is unresponsive initially (for example, this morning it was still on the TV guide from yesterday)
  • If I force quit the Emby app on AppleTV, bad news. I only get an Emby login screen (username and password) that will not accept anything, nor is it the usual server menu to chose the server, wake the server, etc. (no clue what this interface is). The only resolution at this point is to restart the Emby server. Even restarting the AppleTV will not escape this login that goes nowhere.
  • If I don't force quit the AppleTV app, I can still navigate in the Emby app to the user icon, change server (then get to the usual server icon menu), I can wake the server, and re-enter a responsive interface. Playback on TV will then proceed for about 30 seconds. Then server becomes unresponsive.
  • I can engage the server via web interface and get the same 30ish seconds of playback before the unresponsiveness.
  • A restart of the server fixes everything, but I have not figured out what the trigger is

Thanks for the help!

I may just turn off any sleep right now and see how that goes, but hopefully the log helps pinpoint the issue.

embyserver-3.txt

embyserver-2.txt

Edited by NitDawg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
NitDawg

Update.

I should have maybe specified that this is a headless mac mini. I did make one change that, for the past week, resolved all weird connection issues.

Under Energy Saver settings I had to enable: "Prevent automatic sleeping when display is off"

If that was known information, I apologize! I also saw similar posts on other forums for different flavors of media servers. 

Thanks for your time, @Luke

• Thanks 1