compact TV channel guide

justinrh
Go to solution Solved by arrbee99,

justinrh

Is it possible to make the channel guide in the web app to be more compact (vertically)?  I don't like having to scroll up and down the screen to see all the channels.

EDIT:  I just saw the option to turn off the channel image, which did shrink it a lot, but the rows are still overly tall causing the list to be tall.

Edited by justinrh
  • Agree 1

justinrh

Luke, you have used the product, right?  🫤  Now I get to ask you 'exactly what do you mean'?  😆

image.png.f3eb204ac14a10372833ef26d2d71a65.png

Edited by justinrh

arrbee99

As a matter of interest, or not, in the NextPVR web page I can fit 22 rows while in Emby I can fit 17 (without the logo and I think I used css to make the rows narrower as well).

And just to blatantly take the opportunity, in the new Android app, the mini guide in the OSD while playing a channel has a pathetic 3 rows(vs 6 for the Android TV app).

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Luke, you have used the product, right?  🫤  Now I get to ask you 'exactly what do you mean'?  😆

Right, i was hoping you'd post a screenshot so that I could follow-up and say, are these really overly tall?

You need a little vertical breathing room, so what are we talking here, a couple pixels?

arrbee99

The 17 I have drops to 15 if I get rid of my css.

Just thought I'd mention that cos I don't like to be left out...

justinrh

Yes, they are.  Way more than a couple of pixels could comfortably be removed.  For the few shows that have a second row of text, that text could be moved to be in-line or just hidden in the 'compact mode'.

image.png.a68065205085c94f354aa2927242af6b.png

arrbee, I would never want you to be left out!  😃

28 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I guess I disagree. So if it's not a couple pixels, it can't be more than 10 right? At which point, big whoop ?

I mean you could shave a couple pixels off but not much more than that. Again you need spacing and breathing room to make things easy to read. The goal isn't just to cram as much as we possibly can onto one screen.

justinrh

I just experimented with 2.5em height - it looks good. That would double the rows.  Yep, that would be a big whoop.  Round up to 3em and call it done.  😉

2 minutes ago, justinrh said:

I just experimented with 2.5em height - it looks good. That would double the rows.  Yep, that would be a big whoop.  Round up to 3em and call it done.  😉

That's a little excessive. I guess it's fine if your goal maximum rows at any cost. First of all it cuts off the second row. Second, even if there's only one row, you need breathing room. I think 3.5em is the minimum i would go.

arrbee99

Also you get more horizontally. For me, at the moment Nextpvr fits in from 2pm to 6.30pm, Emby is 2pm to 4pm.

14 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Also you get more horizontally. For me, at the moment Nextpvr fits in from 2pm to 6.30pm, Emby is 2pm to 4pm.

Yea but when I look at screenshots of nextpvr I see a lot of truncated text due to that.

arrbee99

Well, I wouldn't say a lot. It could possibly be said in Emby I see a lot of empty space.

But hopefully, If you shrink things a bit vertically, you can do a bit horizontally as well.

• Like 1

• Solution
arrbee99

I think its something like -

div.virtualScrollItem.epgRow {height: 60px;}

or similar but using em ?

• Thanks 1

justinrh

Luke, what is wrong with 3em?  This has plenty of 'breathing room'.  (Yeah, 3.5 would be good, too.)  I already address second-line text.  Think about the purpose/goal of this; think user-focused!

image.png.60e4d4d590938220bdbd1cb8160226b5.png

Now, why does the CSS have to have the whole chain for it to take effect?  I modified the class, yet that is not enough?  Well, I learned how to use the CSS override stuff.  Thanks, arrbee99!

Edited by justinrh

arrbee99

Don't forget, while you actually know what you're talking about, I'm just the trial and error type...

justinrh

Well, now I'm going to ask you for help on every Emby issue I have so you can trial and error a solution  😃

• Thanks 1