How to verify if Emby is using LAN connection instead on WAN.

Bronom

Hi ! 

Im trying to setup Emby for access over ethernet. I open my port, etc, and everything work greats. But.. i would like to know how can i see if emby is using LAN Network instead or WAN when im connected on the LAN Network.

I've made my test with my Android Phone with Mobile Data and my Emby Server is under docker in a Unraid Server.

Exemple

I connect my server with my domain (through cloudflare). MyAwesomeDomain.com (Not my real ) with the port :8096. It connect totaly fine and work fine. but if i am on my LAN Network : 192.168.0.x and i start a playback i can see in the dashboard the ip address is my WAN IP / Public addess. I've tried to use a ddns instead of MyAwesomeDomain.com and i also tried directly my Public IP and nothing change. I still see my Public IP and because the server see my public ip address if i change the bandwith limit or quality limit, it take effect even if i am on my lan network. The only solution i found and does seem to work is to add a DNS Static Host Mapping, but if i add this it will redirect every thing with MyAwesomeDomain.com to a single LAN IP Address. So if i want to use my domain for a other Server / Devices it will not work in LAN because it will redirect to Emby Server. 

So my question is : How can i verify which Network Emby is using and if it doesn't work as expected, what could i have not configure correctly ?

Thx !

Edited by Bronom
Typing error

Hi, in the Emby android app, after you're signed in, if you go to change server, the server will be displayed along with the last ip address that was used to connect to it.

Alternatively if you'd like to see this information in Emby Server, in the 4.7 server release you can see the ip address while the user is playing content.

In the upcoming 4.8 server release the ip address will also be visible on the devices management screen.

I can see it while playback in dashboard. But im would like to know if it is possible to use the connect with the WAN IP for outside of home and when im back at home automaticly switching to the lan connection. because for now if it connect to emby with the wan ip it seem to alway use the WAN connection.

HI, we do already support automatic switching, if the device reports a network connection change, then the app will retest the addresses to see of the lan address can be reached.

Ok but should i see the ip address changing under the playback ? Or it will keep showing the wan ip but using the lan behind ?

13 hours ago, Bronom said:

Ok but should i see the ip address changing under the playback ? Or it will keep showing the wan ip but using the lan behind ?

I should clarify what I said. We do support automatic network switching, but as of now it's only in the user interface, not the audio/video players. That means if you switch networks right in the middle of playback, it won't automatically switch at that point. So you might not see the ip address update during playback. but when browsing around you should.

Ok i understand. So in my case i always see the WAN IP if i connect with my domain name or directly with my WAN IP. If im at home and i start a playback i still see my public IP Address and if i add a bandwith limit it still limit my connection even if im at home. Do you know what i could change to fix it ? Because at the moment the only way to use the LAN connection is to use the server local ip address on the server connection list. But in this case if i go outside it will not work anymore.

So i would like to be able to use my domain or at least using my wan ip address as connection ip and using the WAN connection when im outside and using my LAN Connection when im at home.

• 2 weeks later...

If im at home and i start a playback i still see my public IP Address and if i add a bandwith limit it still limit my connection even if im at home. Do you know what i could change to fix it ?

You don't need to do anything. As you click around the user interface, it will figure it out and switch urls. On the other hand if just have the app in the background and then when you come home do nothing other than just pressing play, then at that point it might not have switched yet and might still be on the wan url.