Recently Released Movies in Android TV app

Jack Burton

Jack Burton

I've noticed there's a Recently Released Movies homepage option on at least the Windows server and the Android app, any chance it can be added to the Android TV app as well? I side loaded the Android app on my Shield to try that out, it's better in some ways, I like it less in others, but it's nice that it does have the Recently Released Movies option. I'd love for it to be added to the Android TV app as well.

• Agree 1

Jack Burton
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

That's the one I sideloaded. It's got some differences, like the splash screen when on the My Media section that the Android TV app doesn't, and has a bit of a different UI (I like it more overall but there are some issues that drive me nuts haha, like the bottom of the thumbnails of the above section being visible, and I much prefer the controls while watching in the Android TV app as opposed to the Android app, they're less invasive and more intuitive on the Android TV app). Overall it's pretty good but feels less polished like it doesn't quite fit in the frame in spots and is clunkier. If it performed as smooth as the Android TV app I'd keep using it for sure. It does have the feature I like, Recently Released Movies, but it's too clunky compared to the Android TV app so I went back to that. Hence I'm requesting a Recently Released option for the homepage on the Android TV app, and while I'm at it I guess, Playlists is also missing as a homepage option and would be nice to have.

like the bottom of the thumbnails of the above section being visible,

Fixed for next build. Does that resolve your concerns?

Jack Burton
Just now, Luke said:

Fixed for next build. Does that resolve your concerns?

Love that thanks, I'll try the standard Android app again after the next release. I read somewhere that the plan was to have a standard Android app across all Android devices instead of specifics like Android TV, etc. Is this the plan? I like it as a concept, though I do find the TV app feels more polished and smooth currently, having the same experience across devices sounds awesome. I'm a big proponent of Emby, you guys are by far among the best devs I've ever seen, and Emby just works. In fact the whole reason I sideloaded was because I heard it might be the plan going forward and wanted to get used to it early haha.

• Thanks 1