Shield not detecting 120Hz in Resolutions list

justinrh

justinrh

My TV is capable of 120Hz but my 2019 Shield Settings > Device Prefs > Display & Sound > Resolutions list shows only ~60Hz choices (4k and 1080p).  Why is this?  Does that mean if I had 120Hz media that the Shield would downgrade it to 60Hz?

I feel like I'm missing something.

RanmaCanada

Shield 2019 is limited to 120Hz at 1080p and 60Hz at 4k.  You also want to make sure you are using a certified cable and not some dollar store garbage.  Odds are your cable is not allowing the connection.  I would presume the OG Shield is similar, but it might not be.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech

Unless you have native 120Hz media - then there is zero to be gained here and everything to lose (the client is going to need to work twice as fast..)

All the '120Hz' refresh generally means is the display will refresh the same image multiple times to match the original refresh - so twice if using 60Hz, 4 times if using 30Hz etc.

For games - then yes, the screen/pc/ps5/xbox-x etc can run at native 120Hz - but for media - the very best you are likely to see is 60Hz - known as HFR.    Most media is either 23.976/24/25/29.976 or 30 Hz - and thus, while your TV is displaying it at 120Hz it's doing it by displaying the same frame multiple times.

I'm also pretty sure that you need HDMI 2.1 for 4K @ 120Hz - which the Shield is not (I believe it's 2.0b) ....

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

justinrh

Yeah, I guess it is kinda stupid to be concerned.  I just like to make sure I can use all of the stuff that my equipment advertises.  🙃

The TVs can use their higher refresh rate to help smooth out fast moving scenes if that enhancement stuff is turned on.  So in that case I guess the TV would use the higher Hz anyway.  I think I have that stuff turned off because all the pros say it just makes things worse.  😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, justinrh said:

The TVs can use their higher refresh rate to help smooth out fast moving scenes

The main advantage of a 120Hz refresh rate is that it is evenly divisible by 30, 60 AND 24.  Therefore, all frames are shown in the same cadence as the original.  It isn't really about smoothing anything beyond the fact that the display doesn't have to "unsmooth" it in order to show all the frames.