ASS Subtitles causes stuttering

Gutsberzerk

Gutsberzerk

Hi,

I’ve been noticing no matter what I watch, if it has ASS subtitles, when they show up (in the background on a shop sign or something like that) it lags and stutters massively. I notice this mostly with anime. 

I should note basically everything I have anime wise is HEVC video format. Audio is either FLAC, AAC or Opus. Regardless, everything direct plays from my shield pro just fine. I did find a workaround to burn in the subtitles, but then I’m losing quality on the video/audio as it transcodes. 

So why is this happening? 

Gutsberzerk
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Here we go. It happens with this show straight away as there’s some ass subtitles right away. It stutters very bad, but after that scene it goes back to being smooth again.

IMG_0710.png

embyserver.txt?api_key=5330f3440f264f31b51c27607d29f76a.webarchive

Gutsberzerk
17 hours ago, Luke said:

@Gutsberzerk

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Still the same issue unfortanetly. It does seem to get through the scene a little quicker however, but yeah. Still stutters while the ass subtitiles are visible. 

• 2 months later...
darkside40

Any Progress regarding this topic.

I have the same problem trying to watch Animes with sophisticated ASS Subtitles like Zom 100.

On 2/11/2024 at 2:47 PM, darkside40 said:

Any Progress regarding this topic.

I have the same problem trying to watch Animes with sophisticated ASS Subtitles like Zom 100.

Hi, what version of Emby for Android are you running?

• 1 month later...
amateurgod

Hi, I've noticed this same issue, however it only happens when using embys built in exoplayer, if I use MX player With HW+ decoder and improved SSA rendering then it works fine but the problem then is using external players means the episode doesn't get marked as watched. 

Would it be possible to add similar improvements that Mx player has to the exoplayer built into emby 

21 hours ago, amateurgod said:

Hi, I've noticed this same issue, however it only happens when using embys built in exoplayer, if I use MX player With HW+ decoder and improved SSA rendering then it works fine but the problem then is using external players means the episode doesn't get marked as watched. 

Would it be possible to add similar improvements that Mx player has to the exoplayer built into emby 

Hi, yes it's something we can look at improving. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

amateurgod
21 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes it's something we can look at improving. Thanks.

Awesome thank you. 

Would it also be possible to add a feature to select multiple subtitles like you can in MX so you can select for example both a dialogue sub and a signs and songs sub for when they are seperate sub tracks 

On 4/5/2024 at 3:29 PM, amateurgod said:

Would it also be possible to add a feature to select multiple subtitles like you can in MX so you can select for example both a dialogue sub and a signs and songs sub for when they are seperate sub tracks 

Hi, Yes, certainly. You can do that.