Audio lag when playing with MPV video player

Magoespa

Magoespa

Hello, I'm writing because I have an issue when trying to play any type of video on my Apple TV with the MPV player. The main problem is that the audio has a very subtle delay, noticeable when watching the actor's lip sync. This issue doesn't occur with the native player, but I wouldn't like to use it because it doesn't support several formats supported by the MPV player.

When I'm playing the same movie with Plex everything works fine and no audio lag is detected. I've also tried the same movie with a chromecast and works with no lags too.

I have also attached logs where you can compare when I'm playing with apple tv native player and with MPV.

CleanShot2023-11-27at18_34.09@2x.png.a1198f19e00a591d0662650dc2f2e3e6.png

embyserver (1).txt

• Agree 1

Hello, new user of Apple TV 4K, IOS17, I encounter the same problem when playing MKV (h.264 and h.265)

the MPV player generates an audio delay. there is no option to adjust the offset in emby?

if it helps, the iptv applications (oqee (free for french user); canal +) are perfectly synchronized.

Using infuse, I also have the lag but the application allows you to adjust the audio lag (I have to put +200ms which is a lot)

• Agree 1

On 12/5/2023 at 3:39 AM, Luke said:

Hi, can you please try Emby for Apple TV 1.8.0 and let us know how that compares? Thanks.

unfortunately this doesn't solve anything for me.

All files read by emby and its player have an audio/video delay which really makes the application unusable

it is not possible to add a parameter to adjust the delay as is done in other applications?

Hi.
Same problem over here.

I'm using an Emby Server 4.7.14.0 on a debian 11 linux Server with Emby for Apple TV 1.8.0 (5).
Details see in the log.
Sorry for the big log. Debug logging is on.
At "2023-12-09 18:16:51.405 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app Emby for Apple TV 1.8.0 (5) playing Sky Sport Bundesliga 1 HD. Started at 0 ms" I started the stream.
I use the vupus livetv plugin.

My FireTVs have no pronlem and everything works fine.
Only on my AppleTV 4K using the Emby App with MPV the problem ocours.

If I use the emby app with native the sound is synced but the stream will be transcoded and the tv picture gets significantly worse.

I hope that helps a bit.

embyserver.txt

Magoespa
On 12/5/2023 at 3:39 AM, Luke said:

Hi, can you please try Emby for Apple TV 1.8.0 and let us know how that compares? Thanks.

Tested on 1.8.0 (5) with my apple tv 4k and the problem still persist 

Edited by Magoespa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.
I've tried to disable "An Bildrate anpassen"  in the appletv settings.
The video and audio is synced now.
If I enable "An Bildrate anpassen" again it is unsynced again.

But of course I want to enable it again in the future. 😉

Maybe that helps.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, whytea said:

Hi.
I've tried to disable "An Bildrate anpassen"  in the appletv settings.
The video and audio is synced now.
If I enable "An Bildrate anpassen" again it is unsynced again.

But of course I want to enable it again in the future. 😉

Maybe that helps.

I will test this this evening or tomorrow morning.

but it is not ideal to deactivate this option because the image frequency will no longer be adapted depending on the source and therefore risks having problems with the fluidity of the image (lag, etc.)

• Thanks 1

@Luke

So I actually removed the option to automatically adapt the frame rate to the source in the appletv settings

in fact without this option there is no longer any sound/video delay

but it's a shame because this option is very useful for juggling between European TV apps, streaming and films on emby because there are frequency differences between the sources and without this option we have problems on certain frequencies

so the lag problem seems to come from the processing of the frequency by the appletv (the sound is always ahead of the image). But why no delay in netflix and other streaming app !

@Luke is it not possible to add an  option in emby player to adjust the delay? (like infuse?)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
jpc0480

Just wanted to see if there has been any progress on this? I have issues with audio out of sync as well with the Emby app on Apple TV 4K.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 10:46 AM, jpc0480 said:

Just wanted to see if there has been any progress on this? I have issues with audio out of sync as well with the Emby app on Apple TV 4K.

Hi, we are looking into this. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Skopin

Commenting here for easier tracking. I'm also having the same issue with MPV. Using the native player works but then none of my 4K movies play.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2