Deploying Emby with Easypanel (docker behind the scenes)

trevorphillips
Go to solution Solved by trevorphillips,

trevorphillips

Hey all,

I am testing out easypanel (easypanel.io) on Ubuntu 22 and it seems like a pretty cool platform to consolidate many of my services. I have some services that use low storage and higher ram and others that do the exact opposite (like emby). Till now, I had different KVM VPS' for hosting them because it was just simpler that way, and I will be consolidating them with Easypanel as I have been doing some detailed testing the last few weeks. 

Now overall emby performs as expected and no major issues up front when using easypanel to deploy it. It even made it simple for me where the port mapping is taken care of behind the scenes meaning

I usually always put sub.mydomain.tld:8096

With easypanel, I just go to sub.mydomain.tld

I did notice the port mapping in the Network Settings for emby is the same as default where internal / public ports are 8096 and 8920 respectively. So there is definitely some help from easypanel behind the scenes to keep it simple.

Now here is the one thing that bothers me, but has not stopped me from using emby deployed through easypanel. 

When I try to log into the emby app on my laptop, phone or tv.. it can't connect to the server. I have tried using the hostname that is configured, the IP, the ports above and no ports. Just weird... I can only access using the browser. 

Would be great to hear if someone else has run into the same issue on a platform like easypanel and how to address. I am still tinkering with it, reading the forums here and other sites and will post solution if I figure it out. 

trevorphillips
39 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, when you access in the browser, what address is in the browser address bar?

I use the subdomain without the ports but the network settings are unchanged. 

sub.domain.com

trevorphillips
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you able to connect using the hosted web app?

http://app.emby.media

The server is online and I can watch videos. 

When I try to connect using your link, it cannot connect to the sever. Even when I use no ports or default ports. I have not changed any OOTB settings and did a fresh install yesterday  

I can include screenshots if you would like to validate. Currently not in front of a computer and I can do it later. 

Edited by trevorphillips

1 hour ago, trevorphillips said:

The server is online and I can watch videos. 

When I try to connect using your link, it cannot connect to the sever. Even when I use no ports or default ports. I have not changed any OOTB settings and did a fresh install yesterday  

I can include screenshots if you would like to validate. Currently not in front of a computer and I can do it later. 

What exactly happens when you try to connect with it?

• Solution
trevorphillips

I am including screenshots of the configuration from both easypanel and the emby instance OOTB. Given easypanel does auto SSL from Letsencrypt, I was able to get through port 443 using your link and the apps. 

Port 443 for HTTPS and probably port 80 or 8080 for HTTP. 

This issue is resolved and can be addressed using the ports mentioned above. 

IMG_2885.png

IMG_2886.png

IMG_2887.png

OK, if 443 is going to be your public facing port now then you probably want to set that in server network settings so that the server is aware of it.

trevorphillips
2 hours ago, Luke said:

OK, if 443 is going to be your public facing port now then you probably want to set that in server network settings so that the server is aware of it.

I tried that before and the service was inaccessible which doesn’t make any logical sense.

The current settings work with 443 port entry using easypanel. It’s a bit different than expected but I think it’s just hiding the porting work behind the scenes and sticking to standard HTTP and HTTPS ports. Meaning ports don’t need to be used in URL and 443 is standard SSL port. I think it just forwards to 8096 behind the scenes from 443. 

Edited by trevorphillips

trevorphillips
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Does your Emby Server dashboard display the correct remote address?

Yes I believe it is and working fine with my apps across devices. 

• Thanks 1