Android (mobile) app unlock usable for Android TV/Chromecast with GTV?

flort
Go to solution Solved by seanbuff,

Forgive me, I've searched far and wide, and am getting mixed messages on this.

I bought the unlock for my phone back in 2017.  Should this be usable to unlock Emby for Android TV on a CCWGTV?

When I try "restore unlock" it says unlock is not purchased.  Not sure if this is a bug, or I'm wrong in assuming an unlock for mobile should unlock the TV app version?

Or, should I be sideloading the non-TV version, onto the TV, as I also read vague statements about the TV version going away?

• Solution
seanbuff
31 minutes ago, flort said:

I bought the unlock for my phone back in 2017.  Should this be usable to unlock Emby for Android TV on a CCWGTV?

No, they are currently two separate apps.

As you said, you can alternatively side-load the standard Android app on your TV device.

6 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

No, they are currently two separate apps.

As you said, you can alternatively side-load the standard Android app on your TV device.

Thanks for confirming that.

But... if I sideload, the unlock won't be recognised anyway right, because it wasn't installed via the Play Store?

If so, should I unlock the TV app, knowing it might go away soon?

seanbuff
1 hour ago, flort said:

if I sideload, the unlock won't be recognised anyway right, because it wasn't installed via the Play Store?

Correct, I don't believe there is currently a way to unlock the standard app installed outside of the Play Store. Emby team is working hard to get it into the app store though.

1 hour ago, flort said:

should I unlock the TV app, knowing it might go away soon?

That's entirely up to you. Unification of the apps have been in talks for a couple of years now. For me personally, the Android TV is absolutely worth an app unlock as it is.

Edited by seanbuff
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

That's entirely up to you. Unification of the apps have been in talks for a couple of apps now. For me personally, the Android TV is absolutely worth an app unlock as it is.

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

• Like 1