Dolby Vision & HDR10+ work around for Emby, does it exist?

lharris

I've recently jumped into the 4K world and quickly found that video files encoded with Dolby Vision and HDR10+ fail to play correctly on the Amazon Firestick in Emby.  You either get a black screen or the screen is split off center and possibly on the bottom.  When this occurs even the emby UI fails to appear... the whole player chokes. 

A lot of research shows that this is an industry wide problem.... It's either a bug in ExoPlayer, a hardware bug, or both.  In reaction, it seems like Kodi and Jellyfin have potential workarounds or forks that somehow ignore HDR10+... but it seems like all potential work arounds just suck. 

I haven't yet dived into using DDVT Tool to try and strip HDR10+ metadata... but it's getting really annoying with release groups dropping releases with DV and HDR10+ and it's a pain to catch them and and try to filter them out.   My whole AV stack supports DV and ATMOS from the ground up so I'd prefer to just turn off HDR10+ support or find a way to make it less of a priority.   I run Emby on a FireStick 4K Max Gen1 (soon to be a Gen 2 when UPS arrives.... but comments on Github show it's still an issue with Gen 2)

Is the Emby team aware of the current dumpster fire of Dolby Vision and HDR10+ existing in the same video stream and is there a way to do work around this in Emby or the beta version?  

Edited by lharris

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Wow!  In the few days of Googling and crawling many forums, I am pretty positive I come across that thread now that I see it again.... somehow it slipped my mind.  I'll mark this one solved, sorry about that.