Crushed Blacks on Emby on my Apple TV 4K

themagpieswarble

themagpieswarble

Here's an example from The Lighthouse. I have the Video Quality in the Playback settings set to 160 Mbps (4K.) I've tried lowering it to 1080P and putting it on Auto. Other apps on my AppleTV do not do this. For example, I played the trailer to The Lighthouse in 1080P on YouTube and the same scenes that have the really bad crushed blacks look totally perfect on the Youtube video. So I don't think this is some input-specific video setting on my TV screwing things up.

Any ideas? Thanks!

• 2 months later...
themagpieswarble
37 minutes ago, Feicstur said:

Was there ever a resolution to this? I experience the same issue

The only solution I found was:

Changed to 'Native' under the 'Preferred Video Player' settings in the 'Playback' menu rather than Auto. That helped a lot. I'd say a 90% improvement.

However, I had some video files that would not play at all using the 'Native' video player so I switched back to Auto which has maximum compatibility for all my video files at the cost of dealing with the terrible crushed blacks that you see in my video clip above. 

Saw this explanation on it from another thread:

image.png.30300427fccc85c601346a8dbe429b1b.png

It would be an amazing update from Emby if they could actually make Auto prefer Native which will give us the best possible playback and if the AppleTV doesn't support that file type, then switch to MPV player. Make it truly an 'Auto' selection instead of just defaulting to MPV all the time as hi2hello pointed out (and as I've experienced as well.)

Good luck.

Edited by themagpieswarble
  • Agree 1