Opinion about emby on samsung tv

all4dom

all4dom

I'm thinking of replacing my older non smart samsung tv with a robust ultra & am looking to get a samaung q80 & maybe a samaung atmos sound bar. I'm hoping you guys can give me some input such as how is emby on a samsnug smart rv in comparison to a roku? Also isnthiana decent tv. I know you get what you pay for. Only other tv I thought about was a TCL google tv or maybe a rough tv. I also have the spectrum app & that's only available on Apple TV, roku & google. I'm not interested in a fire tv. Any input from you guys is appreciated as I'm going to best buy tomorrow so I'm hoping for some good input.

Thanks

Dom

I have a Nvidia Tube and Google TV dongles. I have anything setup on them, and if I change TVs, go on holiday etc etc, I just take one of those devices. I find 'smart' TVs not really smart enough, and Samsung TVs particularly annoy me, though they are fine once I bypass all their 'smart' stuff by using one of my streaming devices.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

My feeling is that the ONLY reason to buy a smart TV is because they tend to be a LOT less expensive than their dumb counterparts. I just had to replace my old TCL TV and, after a LOT of research, the least expensive decent replacement was a Fire TV based TCL TV. I do NOT use, in fact I have never set up, the internal "smart" part of the new TV. I do not see any real advantage to internal smarts and there is the disadvantage of if the smart part of the TV breaks you lose the use of your TV to get it fixed.

I just find the best TV I can and then, only making sure there are enough inputs, just ignore the smart part.

Actually, after rereading what I wrote I realized that what I said was not completely accurate: I did set up part of the "smart" part of my new TV. I had to because it kept nagging me every time I turned the TV on or often when I switched inputs. Once I did enough to make the nag screens stop I did nothing more.

I am very happy with the new TV and the price was quite low as well. I guess as long as companies want to sell "smart" TVs for a lot less than dumb ones I will buy the "smart" and let the foolish companies subsidize a bit of my purchases.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

TeamB

yeah my "smart" Samsung tv nagged me until i set it up, them it started showing me adds in the interface so i disabled its internet and plugged in a raspberry pi

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48
4 minutes ago, TeamB said:

yeah my "smart" Samsung tv nagged me until i set it up, them it started showing me adds in the interface so i disabled its internet and plugged in a raspberry pi

Yeah, that is a problem. FWIW: My TCL does not ever show an ad now that I do not use its smarts at all. In fact, after completing the setup part there is nothing that ever happens to make me know that I am watching a "smart" TV.

I am concerned by the tendency of companies to try and shove ads down our throats so often. I want to watch TV and I understand the greed driven desire on the part of companies to get their ads in our faces but I try to only support those companies that do a minimal amount of "in your face" advertising. 

I have even pruned my devices down, or at least the use thereof, by taking into account how much the ads irritate me. So far the least intrusive clients (excluding things like non-branded Android devices or Raspberry PIs or computers) is my Rokus and my Fire TVs. Yes, both of those do show some ads but they are usually easily avoidable. Even Roku's new crap row they added can be easily ignored. What I really detest is animated or video ads and neither of those devices force those at this time. 
If Roku or Fire ever get really intrusive I can, with minimal effort, go with some kind of truly independent device but, for now, those two cover 99.5% of my needs. The ads are there but can be easily ignored and that is about all I can hope for at this time.

I am still waiting for the first neural interface. But, given how my old brain misbehaves at times, it might be dangerous to have that enabled whenever people are over to visit. ;) :D :rolleyes:

all4dom

Well I got the samsung tv & I am.loving it. Didn't see any ads like with what Amazon I'd doing with fire tv. Emby is much better on samsung then on roku so really no complaints. Even ordered a sound bar as best buy sold out so I'll have to wait a bit.

11 hours ago, all4dom said:

Emby is much better on samsung then on roku

Hi.  What, specifically, did you find better?

all4dom

It's more polished, it's similar to the fire tv app, which is probably the best version out there. There is no buffering issues with mist media playing without issue. I love the roku box but since early last year the emby roku app became buggy sorry to say. That's when buffering issues started & then it seems like features were removed or the guide became to small to fit a million channels on kbe screen. I'm even having issues with my daughters roku tv with sometimes a buffering issue appears or it just stops playing & indont have the are you still watching enabled.

Only thing i asked in the samsung form is can a play next button be added like on the roku & I am having basic voice command issues that i.disnt have on roku. On roku I could say skip my roku & it went to the next episode & fast forward my roku.

Thanks

Dom

Gilgamesh_48
2 minutes ago, all4dom said:

It's more polished, it's similar to the fire tv app, which is probably the best version out there. There is no buffering issues with mist media playing without issue. I love the roku box but since early last year the emby roku app became buggy sorry to say. That's when buffering issues started & then it seems like features were removed or the guide became to small to fit a million channels on kbe screen. I'm even having issues with my daughters roku tv with sometimes a buffering issue appears or it just stops playing & indont have the are you still watching enabled.

Only thing i asked in the samsung form is can a play next button be added like on the roku & I am having basic voice command issues that i.disnt have on roku. On roku I could say skip my roku & it went to the next episode & fast forward my roku.

Thanks

Dom

There must be something you are doing that is VERY different from I. I find the Roku app to be the easiest to use of all the Roku apps I can use and a few I have tested that I cannot use. That is, for me, the Roku app is superior to everything else.

There are always "issues" with an app as long as it or what serves it are evolving but, except for rare exceptions, the Roku app is almost always first to incorporate new features. 

But my 'feelings" are probably a bit "distorted" as I have a LOT of Android devices and I do not like any of them. But, in the case of many of them, the alternative is an Apple product and as much as I dislike android I dislike Apple a great deal more. But I would never try and force my views on others. In spite of the fact that I am always right. ;) 

I wish we, everyone of us, could actually share how we use our devices. Telling others what we do and even how we do it is inadequate at best.

Of course the fact that there are so many different devices is actually driven by the different way each of us desires to interact with Emby. 

I do not find anything really functionally different (in any meaningful way) in almost all Emby clients. (Emby has been trying for years to make all interfaces the same) But the way users interact with them are often quite different. I have a friend that lives nearby and I helped her set up her server. She uses a Roku and a Fire stick. (one in living room and one in bedroom)  When I visit now I find I have to almost physically restrain myself because I want her to use her clients "correctly" but I realize "correctly" for me and "correctly" for her are, correctly, very different things. But it is hard for this old guy to accept the fact that other people do not have the same word view as I.

all4dom

I live the roku but emby usability wise there were issues. For me it all goes back to last winter after a server update. That's when everything started changing. Regarding media type, I'm talking i record on playing & use avidemix which many people here use also.

21 hours ago, all4dom said:

there were issues. For me it all goes back to last winter after a server update

Hi.  Did you post these issues?

• 2 weeks later...
visproduction

I use the Internet Browser App and access local copy of Emby on a new Samsung TV.  I am using direct Ethernet connection, but I have seen this work with Wifi.   It looks very good and even subtitles work.

ou need to make sure the TV is open to adding any apps from the Google Store.  Some TV's seem to be more limited.  Some TV's appear to have addtional Apps locked out.  It could that signing up for Google TV will open the TV up to use the 3rd party Internet Browser app.   Some TV owners never sign up for this free Google service and often they don't turn the TV on to the local wireless network, nor plug it in via and Ethernet cable.

I think everyone here knows that the TV should be on the local network to easily get to a local Emby server.  It's worth mentioning it again... Users sometimes think that the TV is already on the Internet and should have full Emby access, when the TV is only getting extra features through the TV's built in app or 3rd party dongle that goes only out to the TV brand or dongle company Internet service to get to major online networks, HBO, Netflix, etc.  These users can miss turning the TV on to the local Wifi at all, which is a way to access a local Emby server directly.  I suppose it possible to set it up to go out to the Internet and come back in again to the Emby server, but that makes a slower connection, uses Internet bandwidth and the router works harder.  Anyway, I hope that makes some sense and is helpful.