Android 10 Software decode for Dolby TrueHD with Soundbar

moozart

Dear all,

I'm running Emby for Android TV 10 latest version with Emby Server also on latest version. 

My TV Supports Atmos (downstreams to Stereo) but I have a 5.1.2 Soundbar that supports all Dolby formats so far. It is configured as Pass-though.

When playing some TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 content I see Software Decode for the Audio. Is this expected or it should show Direct Play? 

I'm using a Sony TV X900H paired with  Samsumg Q810B 5.1.2 soundbar.

Hi.  I don't believe any TVs support passing through TrueHD.  "Atmos" is a layer on top of either DD+ or TrueHD.  Your TV says it supports Atmos but only for DD+ most likely.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I don't believe any TVs support passing through TrueHD.  "Atmos" is a layer on top of either DD+ or TrueHD.  Your TV says it supports Atmos but only for DD+ most likely.

I'm not really knowledgeable about it. But from what I understood, the eARC implementation is exactly supposed to make this possible. Or I'm missing something?

rbjtech
14 minutes ago, moozart said:

I'm not really knowledgeable about it. But from what I understood, the eARC implementation is exactly supposed to make this possible. Or I'm missing something?

via HDMI only (a UHD Blu-Ray Player for example) - yes, but earc is not supported from any TV App - thus the Emby App within the TV cannot pass TrueHD.

You can of course use an external device to do this (via HDMI) such as a Nvidia Shield Pro running the emby App - this WILL then pass True-HD via your earc HDMI connection to your earc HDMI connected soundbar.   But if you are using the TV App on the TV itself, then Dolby Digital+ with Atmos is the best you are going to get (as it uses ARC).

see - https://emby.media/support/articles/LG-Why-not-Atmos.html

btw - the above doc refers to an LG TV, but all TV's are the same.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rbjtech said:

via HDMI only (a UHD Blu-Ray Player for example) - yes, but earc is not supported from any TV App - thus the Emby App within the TV cannot pass TrueHD.

You can of course use an external device to do this (via HDMI) such as a Nvidia Shield Pro running the emby App - this WILL then pass True-HD via your earc HDMI connection to your earc HDMI connected soundbar.   But if you are using the TV App on the TV itself, then Dolby Digital+ with Atmos is the best you are going to get (as it uses ARC).

see - https://emby.media/support/articles/LG-Why-not-Atmos.html

btw - the above doc refers to an LG TV, but all TV's are the same.

This is really insightful, thanks for your explanation @rbjtechand @ebr

Apart from Nvidia Shield, do you know what other devices could work with TrueHD via Emby Client? Could it be that Apple TV and XBOX Series X can do it? Thanks.

rbjtech
8 hours ago, moozart said:

This is really insightful, thanks for your explanation @rbjtechand @ebr

Apart from Nvidia Shield, do you know what other devices could work with TrueHD via Emby Client? Could it be that Apple TV and XBOX Series X can do it? Thanks.

I believe even the latest AppleTV and  Roku Ultra only support EAC3/Dolby Digital+.  I'm not 100% sure on the XBOX-X.   Worth asking in those sub-forums, as I don't have these devices myself to be 100% certain I'm afraid, but there is a reason the Nvidia Shield Pro has remained 'the' mainstream player for Emby for this long (it's getting on for 4 years old now ..) ;)