Short interruptions since the update to 4.7.14.0

kellerduell

kellerduell

Since the update to version 4.7.14.0, there have been repeated small stops when playing content. These only occur when the subtitle is selected. Without this selection, it runs without these short interruptions. However, some sequences make little sense if no subtitles are displayed.
I have attached the ffmpeg log file for further analysis. Do you need more log files?
Please check what the problem may be.

ffmpeg-transcode-5160eb94-eea6-4206-9d0e-b3309fbaa5f8_1.txt

GrimReaper

Your server is underpowered for transcoding content you're trying to play with graphical subs enabled (speed often drops below 1x which is absolute minimum for uninterrupted playback/transcoding in real-time without buffering, ditto for framerate<24fps):

12:51:54.191 elapsed=00:00:08.22 frame= 162 fps= 20 q=-0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:07.19 bitrate=N/A throttle=off speed=0.874x

12:51:54.724 elapsed=00:00:08.75 frame= 171 fps= 20 q=-0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:07.45 bitrate=N/A throttle=off speed=0.852x

12:51:55.250 elapsed=00:00:09.28 frame= 181 fps= 19 q=-0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:07.79 bitrate=N/A throttle=off speed=0.84x

12:51:55.692 elapsed=00:00:09.78 frame= 184 fps= 19 q=-0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:09.18 bitrate=N/A throttle=off speed=0.939x

Try obtaining external text-based subs (like .srt) instead so your content would DirectPlay. 

Edited by GrimReaper

GrimReaper

You'd need to download them, either through Emby or by some other means (like directly from provider website). OpenSubtitles is a good place to start. 

https://emby.media/support/articles/Subtitles.html

https://emby.media/support/articles/Open-Subtitles.html

Edited by GrimReaper
Links

kellerduell

One thing irritates me, why were there no stutters before the update and after the update it stutters.
Does emby need more resources now?

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, kellerduell said:

@LukeAny Informations about this isssue?
Does emby need more resources now?

Hi, Emby Server does not need more resources than before. You're trying to burn in graphical subtitles which is always an intensive process, even for powerful server machines.

For better performance, try any of the following:

• Turn off the subtitles prior to playback
  • Use external text-based subtitles instead (the server's subtitle download features can help you acquire them)
  • Play with an Emby app that can direct play your subtitle formats without server transcoding, such as Emby for iOS, android, windows desktop, etc.

kellerduell

@Luke

I can understand the explanation. You write that I should try out different Emby apps. 
Since I use Linux on my computer, I can tell you that the Emby Theater software is a bit buggy. That's why I usually use Emby on my computer in the browser.
I usually sit in front of the TV, where I use the Emby LG app. It is also jerky there. Is the server transcoding also active there?

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, kellerduell said:

I usually sit in front of the TV, where I use the Emby LG app. It is also jerky there. Is the server transcoding also active there?

Stats for Nerds and/or server Dashboard during playback should tell you that. 

If it (likelly) is transcoding, post ffmpeg log created.