Official Emby app different than sideloaded (but still official app).

brainii

Here's my situation. On a 2020, Tizen based Samsung Smart TV, Emby was not available on the Samsung store. So for several months I was side loading the official Emby app for Samsung it with a USB (which expired and had to be removed and reinstalled etc). This became tedious after a while.

So, I reset the TV and changed the Region to the UK. I was then able to install Emby from the Samsung store.

BUT, this version of the app is different.

For example, on the side loaded version, the cc button to change subtitles was above the progress bar. On this version it's below.

Big deal, BUT, other things are different too.

Subtitles have become much smaller. I can barely read them on a 65 inch TV. I changed subs settings on my Emby server but these have no effect in the app.

1) Why are the versions different?

2) How to I increase the size on the UK/Samsung version?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, brainii said:

Here's my situation. On a 2020, Tizen based Samsung Smart TV, Emby was not available on the Samsung store. So for several months I was side loading the official Emby app for Samsung it with a USB (which expired and had to be removed and reinstalled etc). This became tedious after a while.

So, I reset the TV and changed the Region to the UK. I was then able to install Emby from the Samsung store.

BUT, this version of the app is different.

For example, on the side loaded version, the cc button to change subtitles was above the progress bar. On this version it's below.

Big deal, BUT, other things are different too.

Subtitles have become much smaller. I can barely read them on a 65 inch TV. I changed subs settings on my Emby server but these have no effect in the app.

1) Why are the versions different?

2) How to I increase the size on the UK/Samsung version?

Thanks

It's the same app, but the USB version is newer than the store version and there have been some changes to the app between versions.

Regarding the position of the CC button, try changing this setting in the app (Playback settings):

image.thumb.png.69cb2a2c808825989318502c1b5d308f.png

The only actual difference between the two versions is the app icon.  In the USB version it is part of the app package, but the icon for store version is part of the submission process, otherwise the app is identical assuming you compare the same app version numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Check the text size in subtitles settings in the app.

there is no option inside the app for that. The options are very limited. Only allows choosing subs and video quality/stream mb/s etc.

I'll take a photo and post later on to see.

Edited by brainii

Ok, I have found the option for the subs size, I was looking for it while playing something, where apparently it's outside on the main options before you start playing.

And the app looks different because it's much older version. The Samsung store has Emby version 1.2.6.

Hide video player transport option not available anywhere but I don't mind.

I do have another question now. Since the store version is so old, is it possible to update it using the USB method (but without it expiring every month?)

Thanks for the replies / help.

Edited by brainii
  • Like 1

I do have another question now. Since the store version is so old, is it possible to update it using the USB method (but without it expiring every month?)

Hi, unfortunately no. Samsung expires the builds. Nothing we can do about it.