Delay playing / transcoding Home Rendered Movies on Fire TV

dlynch

I’m an engineer and have been working on this for a year. My Server is on a 2015 iMac using a brand new Fire TV stick. Please note that these issues remain the same on a recently purchased (fast) Mac Mini. The video is rendered with Final cut pro at 1080p and MP4. When play a “home” movie the  blue circle will continue for 10 to 20 seconds. Once started seems to play OK with a buffering for a second or 2 sometimes. BUT, When I play a “Commercial” movie that was ripped from a blue-ray disk (same 1080p, MP4 settings, it starts up in a few seconds. I have tried various suggested settins in the Service such as Throttle and more with the same results..If I use an iPad to view it starts immediately. Any ideas? Is this normal on the Fire Stick?

OK…I side loaded the app…Things may have changed and improved a little in some areas but overall, no. As an example I re-rendered a 45 minute video with Final Cut Pro. 1080p, MP4…I did not touch any Emby Server settings, just left defaults.. The video started up in a few seconds (which is good) BUT then 10 seconds into the video it paused for about 5 seconds, then started up again..This then happen again. Sometimes if I pause it for 10 seconds, it appears to work fine for a pretty long time (like buffering is an issue.  Again I had tried this on a new mac Mini (super fast one) with the same results. Plays on my ipad fine. Thanks so much for your help. Someday I’ll fiqure this out..

More information…I tried watching a ripped commercial movie on a different Firestick in the house…The movie starts in about 3 seconds, then freezes after a few minutes…Starts up by itself and pauses again a few minutes later…If I purposely pause it for about 20 seconds, the movie will now play at least 10 minutes or so before it freezes and then restarts..So basically firestick does the same thins. I ran wifi tests on my network and passed with flying colors with the ability of supporting 8K…Is this a problem with the firestick app. I’m concerned this is never going to work..Dan

Here is the beginning of the video, trying to stay under the max upload...The original "long" file is 41 minutes. This one starts and pauses immediately on my TV...Again, if I pause it for 10 seconds or so..it played for a much longer time..My next video is basically what it looks like on my screen..

I have tried everything I could think of and just try in the Server Settings, Basically no matter what I do, things are the same. 

Another Update

I have  tried changing every Server Transcoder setting one at a time and results were the same…I also did this with every “Playback” setting on the Emby Firestick App….BUT here’s what appears to work or significant improvement. I rendered with Final Cut Pro using their “Apple 720p” setting (whatever that means). The short video (i sent you)  played flawlessly over and over. When rendereing  “Apple 1080p” it still freezes. I am also going to try rendering the complete 40 minute video in the “Apple 720p” resolution and see what happens when watching for a longer period…Standby…I have spent endless hours on this. Being an engineer can suck sometimes..

I take it back about the Apple 720p….Tried long one and same thing…Went back and tried short Apple 720p, same thing..At one point I was able to play the short Apple 720p 5 times without an issue. I give up….

Never heard back from you. I guess Emby does not work well over Wifi…Fortunately, my house is wired for Ethernet and everything works perfectly…Instant start of movies, no pausing, etc. And rendering format means nothing…They all work…

On 11/26/2023 at 6:00 PM, dlynch said:

This is about a bad as it gets….This is from the beginning of movie…This is screen shot of video playing…I’ll shortly send a short version of this video…

IMG_7598.mov

Are you sure this is the right file? You said mp4 earlier but this is a .mov, right?

It does not matter how I render (1080p, 720p, Apple, Computer, etc.). The results are the same...Here's the MP4 file..Sorry.  Over Ethernet, everything works fine. I'm using a Google Wifi mesh network..The Server and the Router are 20 feet apart...All Amazon Firesticks are the latest 4K models

Did you make sure to test with this sample file? I've tested on a number of devices and it's starting immediately for me. Please note the first 10 seconds of this video are black which might make it seem like it's loading.