M1 Mac cannot direct play HEVC via HDHomerun tuner

NitDawg
Go to solution Solved by NitDawg,

Taking an M1 Mac mini for a spin as an Emby server,. I also have an android server (NVIDIA Shield). HDHomeRun Flex 4k tuner.

On the same client (AppleTV) the android server can play HEVC channels whereas the M1 cannot (no compatible streams). Is this expected behavior?

Thanks in advance!

pwhodges

They should behave the same, so long as the settings are the same...

Check, for instance, transcoding and quality (bit rate) settings, both in the main server settings and in the permissions section in each user profile.

If you cannot resolve it this way, then include the server log in your report:

Paul

Everything is vanilla in my server settings, but I will dig a little deeper to see if I can any differences. Here is a log from the MacOS server when failing to play the HEVC stream, I do see, 

System.Exception: No video encoder found for 'h264'

Maybe related, the macOS Server playback on MPEG2 channels is not smooth as the playback from the ShieldTV server...really noticeable with any news crawl and with the football game last night. I'm figuring some tweaking is needed, but will try to troubleshoot one thing at a time. Log attached!

Thanks@

embyserver-2.txt

• Solution

Sorry all. I realized I did not have embyserver in the applications folder per the macOS install instructions. All good now!

• Thanks 1