HEVC Playback Issue: Black Screen but with Audio

c0mput3

Hi!

I have run into an issue with my Samsung A8 tablet running Android 13 and Emby App 3.3.46 ( downloaded from the emby website and from the playstore )

When playing back any HEVC encoded video stream and regardless of the audio encoded stream, i'm presented with a black screen ( with some flicking artifacts in the lower right hand corner ) and perfect audio.

Any suggestions/help

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Good Morning Luke

I've sideloaded the latest version from the website as you requested and i still have the playback issue with HEVC encoded video, audio plays fine, just no visuals.

Regards

JoaoPedroBelo

I started having this issue on the latest version of android app side load on a android tv chromecast.

Going back  to the previous version fixed the issue to me

c0mput3

Cheers @JoaoPedroBelo

I'll dig around and try some older versions.

I've enabled the 'use external player' option from within Emby as a work around until theres a patch/update

Good old VLC to the rescue! 

• 4 weeks later...
c0mput3

Apologies on not answering as soon as you messaged me!!! ( it has only been 24hrs btw )  you guys took over a month to get back to me orginally back in November of last year and i've been understanding, patient and even finding my own temporary solution which highlighted that fact that it was the emby app.  Being a Premiere member is becoming less and less attractive as since the problem made me look at alternatives to emby and currently i am using an alternative. 

When i find some spare time, hopfully over the week, i'll be your glorified paying beta tester! 

JoaoPedroBelo

Hey, @LukeI tested on my side since I also had an issue, and it is looking good.

thanks for the fix

Edited by JoaoPedroBelo
  • Thanks 1

c0mput3

I'm sorry to say, that the issue still persists regaring the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 ( SM-X205)

I'm experiencing the same issue, when attempting to playback on 1080p HEVC files from my server. The audio plays, but no video just some glitch in the lower right hand cornor.

Interestingly if i try to playback a 4K HEVC file,  audio plays normally i get video but it only displays maybe 5 frames a second, nothing consistancly.

I have no issue with streaming the same files from either android, apple and my smart tv. ( all running different versions of the emby app )

So there must be something going on with the A8, maybe only something samsung can fix?