Unable to connect to Emby from my Apple devices when away

Tennis Fan

Tennis Fan

Hi all.  I have been an Emby user for a number of years and have had a recurring problem I cannot seem to fix.  Emby works fine in my home, and on all my devices, when connected to my WiFi network.  When I leave home, however, I try to access Emby on my phone via cellular network and it says "unable to reach PC" followed by "we're unable to connect to the selected server right now."  It is extremely frustrating when I am at a video store, trying to see if a title I want to purchase is something I already have in Emby.  This used to happen about once every week or two but in the past few months, it has been happening every few days.  I have a few guest users who are also experiencing the same problem.

Even worse, in the past, the way I would fix this was to reboot the computer, restart the Emby server, or sometimes both.  Now those remedies aren't working.  When they did work, it would fix the problem but required me being at home to do it which wasn't much help if I am on vacation.  Unfortunately, for some reason now I can't access the server at all from outside my wi-fi network and none of the afore-mentioned fixes are doing anything.  

Just FYI, I am NOT a computer whiz so any help would be greatly appreciated but if you would, please try to put it in layman's terms.  If someone says "Oh, you need to change your sys dev credentials by altering your router's port protocols to match the URL cache configuration" that won't help me one iota.  Sorry to be dense but I have spent a career in the finance field and am not a program manager in computers.

I am using an iPhone 14 Pro if that matters.  According to Emby, my "server is up to date." My router is the best on available on Verizon and only a year old.  I have gigabit internet service too.  I have tried logging in through the app using Emby connect, adding my server ip address, and nothing is working.

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Tennis Fan

Hi Luke.  Thank you so much for the prompt reply.  I don't know what a "reverse proxy" means.  Unfortunately all of my devices are Apple products, (iPhones and iPads).

Tennis Fan

Thank you very much for the reply, Paul.  Appreciate any help.  In searching Emby's help boards, I did run across the information you forwarded a few days ago.  I did check my Emby settings and the "allow remote connections" box is checked/active and so is the "enable automatic port mapping" box.  I have not yet accessed my router's settings yet to determine whether UPnP is turned on and enabled.  That sounds a little more complicated and I will need to figure out where in my router settings that is located.  I am almost certain that a long time ago, I did go into the router settings and did the port mapping. 

What is odd about all of this is that for years, my remote access to Emby has worked, although it required rebooting my PC every few weeks.  All of a sudden, it has stopped working completely and even reboots are not solving anything.  Something must have changed somewhere in the settings, maybe as a result of a server update or a router update from Verizon?  Again, sincere thanks for the help.

pwhodges

Maybe your provider has turned on cgNAT.  Can you do the checks for this which are included in the page I linked just above (compare the address from canyouseeme.org with that on Emby's dashboard; also the results of a tracert)?

Paul

Tennis Fan

Thank you again, Paul.  This is starting to get beyond my tech abilities but I will try...  I just re-read the directions on the help board.

1) I went to canyouseeme.org and it came back with "Error: I could not see your service...."

2) I went into my anti-virus software and turned off the VPN

3) I opened a command prompt and tried the tracert 8.8.8.8 and after the first line of code (my own router) nothing on the following lines began with a 10, 192 or 172.  

??  Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Tennis Fan

Unfortunately no, I still have not been able to make it work remotely when I am not at home on my WiFi network. I have set up port forwarding, i have tried changing the secure mode setting in the browser (per another community help topic on this subject.)  Still no luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Tennis Fan

Verizon is my ISP.  Dont know what CGNat is... or TailScale....  Many thanks for the continued efforts to help!

6 hours ago, Tennis Fan said:

Verizon is my ISP.  Dont know what CGNat is... or TailScale....  Many thanks for the continued efforts to help!

Hi @Tennis Fanyou can use this to determine if your ISP is using CGNat:

https://www.purevpn.com/blog/how-to-check-whether-or-not-your-isp-performs-cgnat/#:~:text=Check the router's WAN IP address&text=All you need to do,your ISP is using CGNAT.

If it is, then you'll need a VPN or TailScale for remote connections.