Windows Server 2019 With Excessive Memory Usage

fingermau5

fingermau5

Hi, I've only been using Emby Server for a few months on my HP Media Server however the last 2 days, I can't connect through any of my Emby enabled devices.

I'm having to restart Emby as the memory usage is hitting sometime 3.5GB.

I've attached some logfiles but I'll be honest I've no idea what I'm looking at. Can anyone see what the problem is from these files and what I'd need to do to resolve this?

Thanks.

image.png.beaadf3a6ab8e9e8ba1e79fbfaa51bca.png

image.png.445e3c9af8adb7e67f18032472785a2f.png

hardware_detection-63835736211.txt embyserver.txt embyserver-63835736169.txt

Hello fingermau5,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Like 1

Hello fingermau5

I did a quick look into your Logfiles you have attached and can see that you have a lot of errors like these:

2023-11-16 09:40:08.826 Debug App: ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed SocketError: ConnectionReset
2023-11-16 09:40:08.826 Debug App: ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed SocketError: ConnectionReset
2023-11-16 09:40:08.929 Debug App: ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed SocketError: NetworkReset
2023-11-16 09:40:08.929 Debug App: ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed SocketError: NetworkReset
2023-11-16 09:40:08.936 Debug App: ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed SocketError: NetworkReset
2023-11-16 09:40:08.936 Debug App: ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed SocketError: NetworkReset

This points me to an issue with your network or network-drivers on your machine. Maybe the network driver is not compatible with your OS or you are using a network-chip which is not working really well. I don´t think it´s a problem with emby itself.

Please check the following:

• Try updating your chipset and network drivers (Check for drivers on the manufacturers webseite)
  • Try using another network-device

Also you should do the following:

• Check the Windows Firewall Settings on the machine (Win Server has always active rules to block traffic)
  • Allow emby to Communicate in- and outgoing from the machine
  • Disable IPv6-Support on your local network interface on the machine
  • Check for the latest Windows Updates

Also, if possible you should upgrade the RAM at least to 8GB, best to 16GB to get a much better performance. You can run Windows Server OS with at least 2 or 4GB of RAM, but the perofmance will be poor.

smoon

• Thanks 1

fingermau5

So far I have checked and run all of my outstanding windows updates. I’ve switched off IPv6 which means I now can’t RDP into the server for some reason but thankfully I have TeamViewer on it so I can still get on that way. I’ve checked every device installed for updated drivers and everything is up to date. I’ve tried restarting Emby and it is just very slow to respond to anything and the memory is still skyrocketing. This only started a couple of days ago. Not sure why it has started doing it, it’s worked perfectly especially remotely from my GirlFriend’s house. I’ve order 16GB of RAM to arrive tomorrow so hopefully that will help but it was working fine with 4GB before. 

• Thanks 1

fingermau5

So, an interesting situation, I went into the Emby-Server folder and found a System folder and a System.old folder. So I stopped the services and ran Emby from the System.old folder and it’s stable. Sits at 128.3mb whilst it’s idle rather than the 3000mb I’ve been seeing at idle. Has it tried to reinstall itself or update itself? So I’ve renamed the folders so the .old is on the other folder and restarted the server and it’s fine. All working as it should. I’ll still fit the 16GB of RAM when it arrives today but I’m stumped as to what has happened here!

The socket error is incoming requests being aborted for some reason. Unfortunately I can’t answer why. This is extremely rare and when I’ve seen it it has been usually with complicated network setups. Are you using a vpn?

• 4 weeks later...
fingermau5

Apologies for the gap in comms, have been out of the country. Now I'm back, I have installed 16gb RAM hopeing this will solve the issue. Then found this morning I couldn't connect to my server from with in the Emby app on my phone. Logged into my server and found the 16gb RAM maxed out and the Emby Service suspended. I would upload the log file to this reply but its 200mb in size and so I can't. Is there anywhere else I can upload it for you guys to have a look at?

Right it's due to all of these:

2023-12-12 10:37:17.560 Debug App: ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed SocketError: ConnectionReset

Is there anything strange or unusual about your network setup?

fingermau5
28 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right it's due to all of these:

2023-12-12 10:37:17.560 Debug App: ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed SocketError: ConnectionReset

Is there anything strange or unusual about your network setup?

Not that I can think of. I have 1gb up and down cable broadband. The server is connected directly to the router via one of its GB ports. The router is dealing with the port forwarding from the WAN IP address. 

pwhodges

When you said "through the roof", how much was that.  I presume the 290-300 is what you'd consider normal?  Mine sits at about 220MB of RAM with little activity.

Paul

fingermau5
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

When you said "through the roof", how much was that.  I presume the 290-300 is what you'd consider normal?  Mine sits at about 220MB of RAM with little activity.

Paul

When I say through the roof, I’ve now got 16gb of ram and I was at 99% utilisation. 15.8gb of ram used against EmbyServer

On 12/14/2023 at 1:32 PM, fingermau5 said:

For some unknown reason it is now sitting at around 290-300mb of RAM. Here is the current log file for it.

embyserver (3).txt 98.14 MB · 1 download

Well,

first of all: Your logfile is full of the following messages which makes it almost impossible to read the logfile and search for maybe other reasons why your RAM is being consumed:

*** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.8.0.62
    Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.17763
    Framework: .NET 6.0.25
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 2
    Data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Rssdp.SsdpCommunicationsServer.ProcessMessage(ReadOnlySpan`1 data, IPEndPoint remoteEndpoint, IPAddress receivedOnLocalIpAddress)
       at Rssdp.SsdpCommunicationsServer.ProcessReceiveSocketAsyncEventArgs_Completed(Object sender, SocketAsyncEventArgs e, Boolean startBeginReceive)
    Source: RSSDP
    TargetSi1te: Void ProcessMessage(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Char], System.Net.IPEndPoint, System.Net.IPAddress)

You really should solve this issue first so that it would be easier to check your logfile for more issues.

Normally the EmbyServer.exe should not consume this much amount of RAM, it varies between 500 and 600MB RAM on my Server:

grafik.png.c6c16f26e642d4bca65ea3961206e854.png

My Server is now running for 26 days and a few hours. Emby has never consumed more ram as shown in the screenshot.

There MUST be a reason why the Process begins to consume RAM on your System. Is it really the EmbyServer.exe Process that consumes the memory or is it another process? Please check in your TaskManager and post a screenhot of the process just as I did.

Also, please check your Database-Setting in your EmbyServer and check if there is maybe a too big buffer for the database set? (it should be 128MB as standard).

Otherwise, please check your Drivers, if there are missing patches/fixes for your Windows OS or if there is any other Hardware/Software that has issues.