Desktop stuck in Tablet/Mobile Display Mode

LordAverie

LordAverie

For over a month, my emby web app has been stuck in Tablet/Mobile Display Mode, changing the setting does nothing. I use Firefox, the problem persists even on a clean firefox install, but the problem does not happen on Microsoft Edge on the same device.
On my laptop, also running Firefox, the Display Mode is set to Desktop, but can't be changed either (maybe it's just automatic or server-side?).
According to my browser the User-Agent is reported correctly as Firefox/Windows, there aren't any cookies on the site so I can't try editing those either.
Overall I have no idea what it could be any more.

LordAverie
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, is Firefox up to date? Do you have any touch input devices connected?

Yes, it is always up to date, this issue has persisted for at least one update. I have no touch devices plugged in, but I do have drivers for a drawing tablet installed.

So Firefox is telling us that touch is your primary input method. Does it have any options to control this?

LordAverie

apz.drag.touch.enabled | browser.touchmode.auto | dom.w3c_touch_events.enabled
I set the first two to false, and the last to 0 (disabled), it was 2 (auto-detect) before

LordAverie

I feel like this issue could be easily remidied by making the display mode option in the settings actually change the display mode.image.png.d067b1d814a182a94a94080ca2c9a5a7.png

LordAverie

I had drivers for a digitised pen installed, which firefox recognises, this has never been an issue in years on any website, except this one. I had to disable the driver entirely to get desktop mode to show up. Why doesn't this website use the user-agent for this? Why doesn't the setting to change display mode work?

6 hours ago, LordAverie said:

I had drivers for a digitised pen installed, which firefox recognises, this has never been an issue in years on any website, except this one. I had to disable the driver entirely to get desktop mode to show up. Why doesn't this website use the user-agent for this? Why doesn't the setting to change display mode work?

The user agent can't tell us what we need to know. We need to know your primary input method, and css media queries can tell us that. It allows the web app to work well across a variety of use cases, screens, input methods, etc.

But everything comes with a cost, and so for this unfortunately we do have to deal with the occasional case of the browser reporting it incorrectly, so that's why this happened.

Why doesn't the display mode setting work - because the switching between mobile and desktop has been automatic for the last few years, handled by the css media queries I mentioned above. That means the two options are actually the same thing, but they are still kept around in case we may have a use for them in the future.