OpenSubtitles

stevehoffman203

stevehoffman203

I received an email today from Open Subtitles regarding them retiring their original API at the end of 2023  and moving to a new REST API.

The original API will only be available to their VIP(Paid) users.

Is there a new Plugin in the works for this or will we need to become a VIP user?

Thanks!

stevehoffman203

If we become a VIP member, will the existing plugin still work?  Or is this just to try and get VIP members?

Exciting news! OpenSubtitles.org is undergoing a transformation, retiring the original API by the end of 2023. Fear not, as this paves the way for the advanced OpenSubtitles.com REST API. We also understand, in some scenarios there is no way to use new API yet, so original API will be available from New Year only for VIP Users.

Change is Good: Introducing the 20% Black Friday Treat!

Celebrate with us! Enjoy a 20% discount on a one-year VIP subscription until November 24th, 2023, so you can use original API. Elevate your VIP experience on both www.opensubtitles.org and www.opensubtitles.com. Instead of 15 USD per year you can get this deal for 12 USD.

VIP Advantage: Unlock Exclusive Benefits

• Usage opensubtitles.org API
  • Ad-Free Web Experience
  • Direct Download Links
  • Higher Download Limits
  • Ad-Free Subtitles
  • User Profile Visibility
  • Contribute to a Greater Cause

Seize this limited-time offer and become a VIP member today. Enhance your subtitle experience - ad-free, seamless, and with higher download limit access.

jaycedk

I don't see the offer you are referring to when clicking you links.

But that might work for you.

Since its only the .org that will require vip.

And when Emby devs, have created the .com version of it, that should work too + vip status at OpenSubtitles.com ( If that's the offer, can't see it from you links )

With this OpenSubtitles offer I would think you are golden, ( which I don't see )

Access to both for a year, and for less 😁 money. 

Hope this makes sense.

jaycedk

Hmm some of your links is dated back to March 1, 2016.

So tbh not sure about any of it.

Edited by jaycedk

HI, We've just completed the work to switch to the new API but haven't started rolling it out to users just yet. So stay tuned.

heffeque
19 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, We've just completed the work to switch to the new API but haven't started rolling it out to users just yet. So stay tuned.

I'm assuming that the fix should work for both stable and beta, correct?

3 hours ago, heffeque said:

I'm assuming that the fix should work for both stable and beta, correct?

Yes because we plan to release 4.8 to stable before then. If for some reason we don't, then we'll update the 4.7 version of the plugin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
heffeque
23 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Why are you manually pushing subtitles? Is there something not working for you? 

See first few posts.

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, heffeque said:

See first few posts.

Haven't read anything there besides old API retiring by year-end:

* 2023-12-31 end of life, API endpoint will be turned off

https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtopic.php?t=17930#p47873

So not quite clear what issues poster is facing. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Edited by GrimReaper

heffeque

That either it gets fixed before year end, or we won't get access to those subtitles.

It would be good if the fix is out at least a few weeks before year end, just in case there are further bugs to fix.

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, heffeque said:

That either it gets fixed before year end, or we won't get access to those subtitles.

No. This:

On 12/2/2023 at 11:09 PM, BbPp0mvrj said:

It's been a few years since I've had to manually push subtitles like now 😐

implies they're facing some issues now, not that they might potentially face it. And I was interested what those are. 

As for:

8 minutes ago, heffeque said:

It would be good if the fix is out at least a few weeks before year end, just in case there are further bugs to fix.

Sure, but IMHO that was referred to by Dev's response earlier in the thread:

On 11/14/2023 at 8:08 AM, Luke said:

We've just completed the work to switch to the new API but haven't started rolling it out to users just yet

On 11/15/2023 at 6:21 AM, Luke said:

we plan to release 4.8 to stable before then. If for some reason we don't, then we'll update the 4.7 version of the plugin.

So I'd assume they've got it covered. 

Edited by GrimReaper

heffeque

Yup, that "manually push subtitles like now" is a bit strange.

I just hope the fix is backported to 4.7, for those of us who are afraid of updating to 4.8 stable too soon (I'd rather wait for a bit to see how things work out for most people, as having potential issues with Emby during winter festivities won't be an ideal situation for me).

Edited by heffeque

• 2 weeks later...