Emby AppleTV + HomePod Mini = Play/Pause Delay

TariqK

I bought a HomePod Mini today and have been delighted. I noticed however that in Emby (and only within Emby), when I press:

• Pause: The video freezes but the audio carries on for about 1.5-2 seconds
  • Play: There is another delay of 1.5-2 seconds before everything starts again

This was never the case without the HomePod (just using my TV Speakers). I am also wondering why YouTube, YouTube Kids, Netflix, Prime Video etc all work fine. What is specific to Emby that results in horrendous lag?

And if this is just how it is, how are other HomePod owners just accepting it? It is very badly impacting continuity when pausing a show/movie. I have also noticed the same effect on audio files. I even tried the MPV player and there was no change.

Specs:

• AppleTV 4K (3rd Gen) 17.x
  • Emby (latest version of Server and Client)
  • HomePod Mini on 17.x

Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone else use a HomePod and not experience this at all?

19 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Hi Luke, thank you for your reply.

I am happy to report that I fully resolved this issue by forcing the Apple TV Emby App to use the Native Player in settings.

Keep up the good work!

Just now, Luke said:

HI, ideally that shouldn't be the fix, but if you're happy then we're happy. Thanks for the update.

Will it have any implications going forward? Is the native player otherwise inferior to the MPV player? Anything I might be missing out on?

You might see a little more server transcoding when forcing playback to the native player. That's the main drawback.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

You might see a little more server transcoding when forcing playback to the native player. That's the main drawback.

Interesting, so would my initial issue be a bug you'd investigate?

On 11/13/2023 at 6:55 PM, TariqK said:

Interesting, so would my initial issue be a bug you'd investigate?

Hi, yes, can we please look at an example like I requested before? Thanks !

jordan.bestry

Hey Luke,

when using the native player for better HomePod compatibility I’ve run into some issues with audio drift.

When I would use plex I could overcome this by setting the audio to OPUS and plex would transcode to AAC with no audio drift. Any other audio codec (including aac) would give me audio drift.

Emby transcodes to MP3 which still suffers the audio drift. Is there any files I can edit to change this to default to AAC?

No idea why this happens with Live TV for me with the native player (affects Emby and plex). Same video has no audio drift with VLC when set with any audio codec🤷🏽‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 4:43 AM, jordan.bestry said:

Hey Luke,

when using the native player for better HomePod compatibility I’ve run into some issues with audio drift.

When I would use plex I could overcome this by setting the audio to OPUS and plex would transcode to AAC with no audio drift. Any other audio codec (including aac) would give me audio drift.

Emby transcodes to MP3 which still suffers the audio drift. Is there any files I can edit to change this to default to AAC?

No idea why this happens with Live TV for me with the native player (affects Emby and plex). Same video has no audio drift with VLC when set with any audio codec🤷🏽‍♂️

HI, that drift is only when using homepod, right?

jordan.bestry
19 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, that drift is only when using homepod, right?

I don’t believe so, but will confirm later.

I actually figured out how to get it to transcode opus to AAC and unfortunately it didn’t fix the issue. (Same source with mpv and no HomePods has no audio drift)

Embys version of MPV seems better than plex’s for my 4k50 live tv source (plex would terminate the channel after some viewing)

So I have been using MPV successfully, although there is a slight audio/video offset on any mpegts channel or recording only when using HomePods.

Happy to run any tests or send a sample recording in if you like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
jordan.bestry

Sorry @Lukeonly just saw this.

From memory I removed the mp3 audio driver haha and then Emby chose AAC instead I assume. 

• Thanks 1