Guide does not load with "Live TV Mode" enabled

kuya1284
Go to solution Solved by kuya1284,

kuya1284

I'm experiencing an odd behavior with my Nvidia Shield and MiBox devices when launching the app. While having the Live TV Mode setting enabled and the Default Tab set to Guide, as soon as I launch the app, instead of the Guide loading, Channels loads instead. As soon as I highlight the Guide nav button, without even clicking the OK button on my remote, the guide loads immediately as well as the channel I was previously watching.

This typically happens when

• The Emby app goes to sleep
  • I watch use another app for a while, then later launch Emby
  • I turn on my device and launch Emby

Attached is a short video demonstrating this behavior.

Is this a bug or do I just have something misconfigured? Should I send my logs?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kuya1284
typo

Hi.  The app is already running in the background on the device and is just being brought back to the front.

kuya1284
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The app is already running in the background on the device and is just being brought back to the front.

But the app doesn't start up with Guide selected nor with the last channel that was being watched. Isn't that the intended behavior of Live TV Mode? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: I neglected to mention that the same behavior happens when I force close the app and relaunch it.

Edited by kuya1284

From your video, the app was already running and sitting on that channels page as it simply appeared in that state.  There was no loading spinner, etc.  So, the app wasn't "starting" at all in this case.

I would have to go back and do some testing to see if anything in this area has changed recently as I don't think that option is used by many people at all.  I know I haven't tested it in a long time.

kuya1284
54 minutes ago, ebr said:

From your video, the app was already running and sitting on that channels page as it simply appeared in that state.  There was no loading spinner, etc.  So, the app wasn't "starting" at all in this case.

I would have to go back and do some testing to see if anything in this area has changed recently as I don't think that option is used by many people at all.  I know I haven't tested it in a long time.

Here's a new video showing what happens when I launch the app after force-closing it.

Thanks for looking into it.

Thanks.  Not sure how long this has been broken but probably a very long time - which is an indicator that pretty much no one uses this option...

kuya1284
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Thanks.  Not sure how long this has been broken but probably a very long time - which is an indicator that pretty much no one uses this option...

Or it could be people just don't know how or are lazy to report it. I'm also a developer and at my company, employees rarely reports bugs, if at all. We have an auto-send log feature with our app, and that's how I learn when things are broken. I even make phone calls to employees sometimes just to get more info. So I wouldn't assume people aren't using it. Maybe they want to, but since it's not working properly, people are either dealing with it partially working or are just waiting for it to be fixed.

Edited by kuya1284
  • Agree 1

justinrh
11 hours ago, ebr said:

Not sure how long this has been broken but probably a very long time

@ebrSo make sure testing this is in the regression test plan before you release 4.8, which should be any day now (right?).

12 hours ago, justinrh said:

@ebrSo make sure testing this is in the regression test plan before you release 4.8, which should be any day now (right?).

This is an issue in the app, not the server.

justinrh

Well, whenever the app is updated, as I was thinking the apps get updated with or soon after a major update to the server.  May be no relation.  My bad.

• 5 months later...
  • Solution

@ebr, I just wanted to say thank you. I haven't been using Emby but decided to give it a try again and noticed that the Live TV Mode feature was fixed. I don't know when that was deployed, but regardless, I just wanted to say thank you. I had to go back to using Live Channels because my family was getting frustrated with using Emby. But I'm sure they'll be much happier with the app working like a TV app that they're comfortable using.

Thank you so very much to you and your team!

• Thanks 2