Problem with mp3 metadata

HFBoroni

HFBoroni

I lied (above). 🙄 I had EMBY re-scan my library and I'd say just under half of my album art is showing up. Is there a size limit or other requirement[s] for acceptable artwork? (I'm checking other metadata now...)

Adding new info if anyone is debugging this. (I'm a retired software engineer.) When I look at "Songs", all of them have album art and appear to have the rest of their metadata intact. It's just "grouping" icons -- Genre, for example -- where some have pics and some don't.

Edited by HFBoroni

HFBoroni

Luke, I'll be glad to provide what you need. (FYI, my wife's ringtone for me is the theme from "Big Bang Theory!") Let's start with one picture (attached). As you can see, about half have an actual picture and the other half just an icon. The same is true for "Album Artists".  However, if I choose "Songs" they all have Album Art. Same with "Albums". I cannot theorize why some [Album] Artists would have art & others not. I use the same software to put art into every MP3. And I hate it when Windows Media Player downloads its own hidden album art files (I remove them whenever I spot them!)  Good luck and let me know if there's anything else you need.

First Screen of Artists.jpg

@HFBoroniare you able to use the manual image editor to download an image for one of those artists? If you refresh the metadata on one of them, does that get an image?

HFBoroni

Interesting! I (of course) dusted off my old Software Engineer hat to help out here. I found some things YOU might have to explain to ME!

First, on your metadata request, not knowing EMBY all that well, I was reluctant to mess with metadata worried I'd end up with modified MP3s. I've spent a lot of time embedding the album art into the file properties of each and every MP3. I don't want a music folder with extra JPG[s], for example, like Windows Media Player tries to force upon you. But - thank you very much - I went ahead and refreshed the metadata on one album and did not check "Replace existing images" and EMBY left everything as is. That process did not, however, add any picture to the artist ('N Sync) circle. (Then my curiosity sent me down the MusicBrainz rabbit hole. Amazing database!)

So I looked at the first three artists from my prior photo, the odd mix of 'N Sync, 2Pac, & 3 Leg Torso. Each of those 'N Sync MP3s has a 250x250 pixel JPG picture embedded in them. It doesn't show in EMBY. Then, the real eye opener[!], the 2Pac image is NOT the one I have in the one MP3 I have of 2Pac. I have a different album art picture. Then, 3 Leg Torso also has album art embedded in every MP3, this time 500x444 pixels. I've attached them all.

Finally, perhaps I need to update my settings but as I explained above, I did not want any updates to my MP3s' properties or files (JPGs?) added to my folders. It seems your software is quite nice about leaving things as is.(?) Oh, FYI, I can definitely edit the image for 'N Sync and it does show up once I refresh the page.

Thanks!

First Screen of Artists (marked up).jpg

'N Sync.jpg

2Pac.jpg

3 Leg Torso.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@HFBoroniyour screenshot is from the Artists tab. You're not going to see album art there, you're going to see the artist image.

Does that answer your question? Have you tried refreshing the metadata on the Nsync artist to see if that pulls in an image?

HFBoroni

Thanks for the response! I saw some other Artists with art so I assume they ALL should have it. Then, (probably the giveaway) I noticed 2Pac was a picture I didn't even have anywhere. It would appear the Emby goes out and gets an image for every artist when it can find them. 'N Sync? Bingo! 2Pac? Of course! But 3 Leg Torso? Not so much. And I'd say that's just fine. Once I drill down to the individual song level, **ALL** have album art. Case closed?