how to change external ip address

Vinkeyland

Vinkeyland

hello, as a beginner, i'd like to change my external ip address. is this possible and if so, how can i do it? could you recommend a tutorial for terramaster NAS?
thank you for your answers

Hi, isn't your external IP address assigned to you by your ISP? Emby Server doesn't create this value for you, but rather it tries to detect it.

Scott D

Your external IP address is assigned by your internet service provider as stated above.  They can provide either a static (unchanging) IP address, or a dynamic IP address.  If it is dynamic, it may change on a fairly regular basis without your knowledge or control.  If it is static, it should remain the same.  Most consumer IP services provide dynamic.  It may not change all that often, but it is subject to change.

If you have a dynamic address, the problem would be accessing from a remote location as the address is subject to change.  To eliminate this problem you could get a DyDNS name for your IP address.  DyDNS gives you the ability to create a name (youripname.com) and through the use of a small piece of software installed on your computer or router, it informs the DyDNS service everytime the IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) address changes.  Some routers have the service installed within their firmware.  You just need to set up the DyDNS account and enter the appropriate information into the router.

You cannot pick your external IP address.

If you use proxies, VPN's, etc., you are getting in far deeper than this quick explanation provides.

Hope that helps.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Vinkeyland

hello, happy new year, sorry for the absence, in fact I would like to have the domain name in (WAN) instead of my ip address, how can I proceed?
thank you and sorry for the delay

seanbuff
2 hours ago, Vinkeyland said:

I would like to have the domain name in (WAN) instead of my ip address, how can I proceed?

Assuming you have configured a DDNS, or your own domain name and have configured DNS to point to your Emby Server, you can add your domain name on the 'Network' tab of your server.

image.png.745dc86a697c80db7e275deec5e4d6a1.png

Vinkeyland

thank you for your indication, i have one last question, i have my domain name but when i click on the domain name it sends me back to expired or when i delete the port on the address bar, it gives me my ip address and i would like it to take me to the domain name and not display my ip address, i don't understand the dns settings, how can i do this?

sends me back to expired

What does this mean?