Qnap TS-133-US Transcoding

russman547

russman547

Will the emby server support transcoding on the this platform?   I dloaded and installed  the emby server version ARMv8.    in the transcode settings it lists encoding is availble but not decoding...   the specs  ARM 4-core Cortex-A55  which should support some code for transcoding.   Do I not have the correct version installed for this server? 

Russ

russman547

Luke 

I have dloaded and installed the beta but i still dont have access to the hardware transcoding.  i have added the hardware detection log below. also the transcode log.  processor was maxed out and i didnt wait long enough for it to play, like 4mins

Russ

hardware_detection-63835409878.txt ffmpeg-transcode-8ff092cf-9b50-48e4-a8bb-b1cab952c79f_1.txt

On 11/13/2023 at 1:19 AM, russman547 said:

I have dloaded and installed the beta but i still dont have access to the hardware transcoding.  i have added the hardware detection log below. also the transcode log.  processor was maxed out and i didnt wait long enough for it to play, like 4mins

I'm afraid to disappoint your expectations, but this won't work out. We are normally detecting all hwa devices, but we have no detection for V4L2 and this encoder is added under certain conditions only. I don't remember for which case this was intended, but in the past few years I haven't seen any log where it was working at all. Probably it's rather time to remove it to avoid confusion or setting high hopes.

The ARM 4-core Cortex-A55 is a CPU core, not a GPU, so I'm not sure which spec you have read. Probably you have some single-board computer with a SOC and the SOC includes some GPU. But it doesn't matter which kind of GPU it has. From the fact alone that it took > 4min to start playback, I can blindly tell that  you won't get any decent transcoding on this device.

Hw acceleration does not mean that the CPU can sleep. Those operations go hand-.in-hand between CPU and GPU and then the CPU is so slow, then the fastest GPU in the world cannot compensate for it (in those kinds of architectures). Transcoding requires large amounts of  data need to be moved, and that's a typical weakness of such devices.