Emby WMC UI remote control issues

Peter Nent

Peter Nent

Today, I connected the original Microsoft remote control receiver to my Windows 11 Emby WMC UI system (after installing the correct drivers) and it worked immediately as you (Softworkz) promised: great !

I compared the remote control functions of Emby WMC UI with the good-old MCE: most buttons work the same, but a few buttons don't:

• Channel-+         : doesn't work
  • Channel--          : doesn't work
  • TV                      : goes to an empty screen, if no channel is choosen before, otherwise it returns to the active TV-channel...: why not start live-TV if not started ?
  • Fast-foreward  : shows the line and runs faster, but....how to activate at certain point (play doesn't work) ?
  • Fast-backward : simular
  • 0 until 9             : doesn't work....which is anoying, as this is basically the main function of a remote control.....
  • colors                : red, green, orange and blue: doesn't work

General: if you are in the EPG and chose an active program (which can play immediately), activate live-TV immediately (and thus not the screen: play channel, record or series record): this is (as far I know) simular as in the original MCE....if a user likes to record Live-TV, just use the record-red button....this makes using a remote control even easier...one click less to live-TV...If the program is 'in the future' when choosen fromout the EPG, the existing screen (with the choice of record, etc.) should be shown: as is. 

As good-old MCE 'heavy' user, I like to help you finding WMC UI 'compatibilty' with MCE issue, in order to make it easier for you to solve them!

Thnx & best regards, Peter

Edited by Peter Nent
  • Like 1

• 0 until 9             : doesn't work....which is anoying, as this is basically the main function of a remote control.....

These functions are not in the core app yet but are planned for future updates. Thanks.

Peter Nent

Seems to become a shared effort to solve these matters: both Emby-core and some fixing in WMC gui ?

Lots of sucess; If my help is needed, please contact me !

• Agree 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:01 PM, Peter Nent said:

Today, I connected the original Microsoft remote control receiver to my Windows 11 Emby WMC UI system (after installing the correct drivers) and it worked immediately as you (Softworkz) promised: great !

I'm glad to hear that. Did you try in Chrome or the Theater App?

• Fast-foreward  : shows the line and runs faster, but....how to activate at certain point (play doesn't work) ?
  • Fast-backward : simular

Pressing OK button should work, doesn't it?
(but yes, Play should do the same)

0 until 9             : doesn't work....which is anoying, as this is basically the main function of a remote control.....

As @Lukementioned, it doesn't work for channel selection yet, but what does work is T9/Triple Tap for jumping to a certain letter or combination of letters. E.g. in a movies list, press '6' two times to jump to letter 'N'.

General: if you are in the EPG and chose an active program (which can play immediately), activate live-TV immediately (and thus not the screen: play channel, record or series record): this is (as far I know) simular as in the original MCE....if a user likes to record Live-TV, just use the record-red button....this makes using a remote control even easier...one click less to live-TV...If the program is 'in the future' when choosen fromout the EPG, the existing screen (with the choice of record, etc.) should be shown: as is. 

As good-old MCE 'heavy' user, I like to help you finding WMC UI 'compatibilty' with MCE issue, in order to make it easier for you to solve them!

Yes that's good. Can you create two issues in the WMC UI GitHub repo? One for the play button when seeking and another one for marking a program for recording when hitting the record button in the Guide.

14 hours ago, Peter Nent said:

Seems to become a shared effort to solve these matters: both Emby-core and some fixing in WMC gui ?

Right. The channel up/down needs to be present in the core app first.

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Peter Nent

Short reply:

1. Tested it on Emby Theater WMC gui
  2. Retested this again: OK or play didn't indeed stop the fast foreward or backward....
  3. How to enter it on a remore control....?
  4. Issues in Github....humm. why report it double...: in this Emby forum....and...in Github...hummm...ok, I'll do that tomorrow
  5. channel up/down en 0-9 in core: w'll wait
  6. I found that some more keys of the Microsoft RC don't work:
    1. the 'i' key (=information) doesn't work
    2. the 'EPG-key' also doesn't work
    3. etc.:
      image.png.e7c3d3f8a21cda0bdc8e29758a612ce8.png

Its maybe better that you test it also by your selves, as finding all compatibility on all possible key-combinations is fairly complicatied....

From the other side: I remember from ýears ago' that Microsoft has had a list of all RC-key definitions and the combinations it supported.....I'll try to find that after all these years and bring it in to you....or even better again: is there not a RFC-standard for the Micosoft remote controls: Microsoft Consumer Infrared usage models (RC-6): have a look at github: baijuxavior/AdvancedMCEMapperTool: Tool for configuring MCE Remotes (github.com)..and...gcassarino/esp8266-Philips-RC6-tv-remote: an implementation of the Philips 22PFT4000/12 tv remote control interface using Javascript and an ESP8266/IRSend as backend (github.com)..!

The complete definition of RC-6 (on the Kodi forum): Using a Microsoft remote control in Windows - Official Kodi Wiki: ALL key's and combinations are defined there....found it finally !

Grtz. Peter

Edited by Peter Nent
  • Like 1

Thanks, but I got all information together already. The official docs are here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/windows-media-center-sdk/bb417079(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

The problem is that there's no homogeneous API for the remote functionality. It actually goes over three different APIs (input, appcomand, keyboard). The latter part - keyboard - is always working without further development, as it's like connecting an additional keyboard. The other two require work. 

Please test in a Chrome browser (by clicking the "remote control" menu item). All buttons should work there (including Guide, Music, Video, TV). Even the "green button" should always take you to the start menu.

• Thanks 1

The following receivers are supported:

Microsoft SB
Adaptec BB
Dell BB
Dell SF
ECS BB
F21 snowflake emulator
FIC BB
Formosa21 BB
Formosa21 SF
Gateway BB
Gyration BB
Gyration SF
Hauppauge BB
LG BB
Microsoft BB
Microsoft SF
Mitac SF
Mitsumi BB
Mitsumi SF
NorthStar Systems Corp. Emulator
Northstar Systems Corp. Emulator
Philips BB
Philips SF
Ricavision BB
Ricavision SF
SMK BB
SMK RXX6000-0101F
SMK RXX6000-0201F
SMK SF
Samsung BB
Shuttle BB
Shuttle SF
Tatung BB
Topseed BB
Topseed SF
Trojan BB
Trojan SF
V1 Emulator
Wistron BB
eMuzed BB

But please note that these are low-level manufacturers, it often has nothing to do with what you can read on the remote control  or the USB receiver - those are the OEM manufacturers.

• Agree 1

Peter Nent

After reading your (Softworkz) explantion, things became immediately clear & understandable: good work!

I immediately started testing matters: downloaded Chrome and installed it on my NUC (= Windows 11 pro), started Emby WMC gui in Chrome (in stead of Emby Theater WMC ui): I noticed indeed the differences between the web version and the standalone (=Emby Theater WMC ui version): especially the remote control enable function.

After selecting this option, it beeps, but it still is showing 'Remote Control Enabling', in stead of Remote Control Disabling or somthing like that.....this raises the question: why is this option in this menu...Why not always 'on' (=enabled)....and not showing this to the user..?

Test Chrome: on an inconsistant manner: some buttons function, such as EPG, but others don't function, but other time, it doesn't work...inconsistancy...!

Test Edge: simular findings as Chrome....inconsistant...

My conclusion: the web version needs some work...

After reading the explanation of Luke and Softworkz again, I expect that getting the RC really 'MCE compatible', some more work needs to be done. I'll follow that closely and if neccessary help you in any way possible.

Thankx & best regards, Peter Nent 

Edited by Peter Nent

40 minutes ago, Peter Nent said:

After selecting this option, it beeps, but it still is showing 'Remote Control Enabling', in stead of Remote Control Disabling or somthing like that.....this raises the question: why is this option in this menu...Why not always 'on' (=enabled)....and not showing this to the user..?

I think you never got it actually enabled. Can you retry with using https://wmc.emby.media ?

The RC uses the new "WebHID" API which allows interfacing with different types of USB HID devices in a browser. As such features allow malicious (and other) websites to perform fingerprinting (for uniquely identifying users/devices), it is restricted in a way that it needs "activation by user gesture". This means:

• The app doesn't know whether you have a RC in your computer
  • Only after user gesture (mouse or keyboard input - when clicking the menu button), the app can initiate the display of a device connection dialog, but it still doesn't know which devices are available
  • When the user then selects the device in the browser's dialog and confirms use of the device, then - and only then - does the app get the information that an RC is connected and can start using it

That's all okay (when using https), the real downside is that this needs to be repeated each time when you start using it in a browser session. I've had a discussion with a Google/Chrome product manager about this and he filed a proposal to improve that situation. 

Later I started a different plan: I got in contact with Chrome developers and filed a proposal to support those - yet unsupported - keys directly by implementation in the browser. What played into my cards is that some time ago, another Google manager had documented the keyboard input functionality and listed all those remote control keys as "not yet supported".

Now there's an agreement that I can contribute the code for implementing this in Chrome - but I haven't come to do it yet...

Peter Nent

Great Chrome developments (and thus possibly also Emby WMC gui), although it forces the use of httpS....something I didn't implement as my 'in house' use of Emby doesn't require this kind of extra security.....overkill ? (and this way, I avoid the somewhat complex activation of httpS in Emby server...its not that straight foreward on a Windows server I remember).

Sorry, I can't test this issue....

On 11/12/2023 at 4:50 PM, Peter Nent said:

Great Chrome developments (and thus possibly also Emby WMC gui), although it forces the use of httpS....something I didn't implement as my 'in house' use of Emby doesn't require this kind of extra security.....overkill ? (and this way, I avoid the somewhat complex activation of httpS in Emby server...its not that straight foreward on a Windows server I remember).

I understand that. We got in touch with Chrome development and there will be a solution very soon for accessing private network endpoints from a https context (starting with Chrome 120).

BTW: it also works in a localhost context (browser on the same machine as Emby server), this is treated the same has https, but I don't know whether that works with your setup.

• 2 weeks later...
Peter Nent

Any news on these RC issues, aspecially the 0-9, channel-+/-, etc/ ? 

Solving all these RC-issues, would finally make Emby Theater WMC gui almost the perfect follow-up of the good old MCE...a GREAT development

If no news, are you able to give an impression when this will be available ?

Thanks & best regards, Peter

Besides 0-9 and channel+/i, are there any other keys which you don't see working?

I just did a bit of testing (original MS WMC receiver, ET WMC Windows)

• Guide button: Working. During playback, it opens the mini-guide (2 rows), next tap full rows guide, overlaid on screen, another tap: hides it. From all other screens, it takes you to the regular guide view
  • Live TV button: Takes you to the playback view (but doesn't start live TV)
  • Music, Pictures, Video, Radio: Takes you to the start menu (not yet to the right galleries)
  • Info button: During playback, it shows the info overlay, on all other screens it displays the context menu
  • Volume+/- and mute: Working when playback is active (video or audio)
  • Subtitles button: Works, toggles subtitles during playback
  • Power Toggle button: Works, on and off
  • Aspect Ratio button: doesn't work
  • Teletext + red, green, blue, yellow: Doesn't work (well, we don't have teletext support yet)
  • Playback button: Working
  • Record button: Working , during playback and in the guide, additional tap activates series recording, but another tap doesn't cancel recording
  • Play/pause: Working
  • Skip/Ffw/Frew: Working, but you cannot get out of the various mode (like reported above)
  • 0-9: Working in gallery views to enter letters via TripleTap/T9; Working with On-Screen-Keyboard in TripleTap/T9 input mode; not working in guide and on playback for selecting channels
  • Channel+/-: Working with music playback (previous/next playlist entry), working in guide (scroll up/down by page but interval is wrong); not working during playback for channel switching

We need to separate this into two parts:

1. Are the remote buttons properly signaled to the app?
  2. Does the app do the right things when it receives button presses

The latter part needs work on our side of course, but there are scenarios listed where each button is working (excepting aspect), so you should be able to test at least #1, whether you get the same results like I do.

Thanks

• Like 1

Peter Nent

Dear Softworkz,

I tested the Remote Control (= Original Microsoft RC with USB-receiver) with both (1) Emby Theater WMC gui and (2) Emby webgui and found identical findings as you: and indeed except button 0-9 and up/down: thus I confirm your findings!

In the meantime, the WAFAF* seems to hold up Emby Theater WMC gui!: we are using it since approx. 3 weeks in full production: our family TV in our living room on a NUC (i7/16G/250G SSD/Win11): it is almost OK....besides some RC matters, going-to-sleep/wake-up and some minor matters.

*WAFAF = Wife And Family Acceptance Factor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This has been added to the main app now (not the wmc UI version).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Peter Nent

@softworkzDo you have a status of the Remote Control issues, or at least some kind of planning to finalize the beta phase and going into final production ?

7 minutes ago, Peter Nent said:

@softworkzDo you have a status of the Remote Control issues, or at least some kind of planning to finalize the beta phase and going into final production ?

That's crazy - how did you sense that?

Right in this moment, I have commited the changes for new RC support and pushed them out for generating a new test build.
This is for the new general Windows app, though, which is getting into beta shortly. The WMC UI version will come a little later.

• Haha 2

Peter Nent

Magic feeling...magic touch ....magic fingers ?...haha 😉 Great to read that RC support is coming up!

Besides the RC improvments, do you already have an indication when you will finish the beta and go into production: final release ? or when (greater) parts will be final, such as series, recordings, etc.?

I'm very interested to learn, as I'm great fan of this WMC UI initiative of you !

Grtz. Peter 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter Nent said:

Magic feeling...magic touch ....magic fingers ?...haha 😉

Thinking abouit this again, you literally hit the moment by the minute. I decided that it's complete, then I looked through all again and checked in the changes, wrote a changelog entry, increased the version and pushed it to the server - which took five minutes. Then I looked at e-mails and new posts and when I responded to yours it said your was made 6 minutes ago..

Besides the RC improvments, do you already have an indication when you will finish the beta and go into production: final release ? or when (greater) parts will be final, such as series, recordings, etc.?

When the new Window beta is out, I'll start looking into catching up the WMC UI to the latest client code and go through the open issues. Then prepare a new WMC UI release which is based on the new Windows app.

I'm very interested to learn, as I'm great fan of this WMC UI initiative of you !

Always love to hear that! 🙂 

• Thanks 1