Mac oddity - mp4's vanish

Cluttered

Cluttered

I set up a library "MacTubes" that holds some downloaded mp4's (from youtube). One folder holds videos from the xBox channel. There are nine files.

If I put eight of them in then they are fine, the folder opens and shows eight videos. If I then add a video for the fable trailer and re-scan that library, then on the Mac there are nine files, but the xBox folder just shows the fable trailer and if I click it then rather than opening the folder and showing 9 files (or even 8 as it did before), it now just shows the details of the fable video!

Originally the folder was .../[HOME VIDEO]/xBox, but the space caused problems! (It seems okay with spaces in file names but not folder names - I think I also had issues if folders had < or > in them). I renamed it to [HOME-VIDEO] and it finds the files, UNTIL I add the fable trailer.

Am I doing something stupid, missing something obvious or is there an issue?

On latest Monterey 12.7.1 (intel iMac) with the latest emby server 4.7.14.0.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Cluttered

Bit more: deleted the cache/transcoding and conversion folders contents, re-downloaded the file from youtube and copied it into the folder and it has the same result.

Cluttered

Renamed the file and changed all the spaces to '-', as soon as it goes into that directory it is shown as the only file, remove it and the other 8 pop back up!

Just tried downloading a different file from the same source and adding it, absolutely fine, downloaded the fable official announce trailer, fine. Seems to be just this one video!!

Cluttered

One more thing I have noticed. The other video I tried was "Alone In The Dark | Looking For Jeremy Trailer.mp4", it shows up but won't play, complains about no stream or something.

If I rename it and change the "|" to a "-" then it works perfectly.

Seems to be an issue with the way mac filenames/paths are handled. If I open the original file with the "|" charater using quicklook, quicktime or elmedia then they are all fine with it. If I convert it using permute (which also uses ffmpeg) then it's fine but when emby uses ffmpeg it gets upset.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 16.44.30.png

Edited by Cluttered
added screenshot of the two identical files with slightly different names.

On 11/8/2023 at 11:26 AM, Cluttered said:

Renamed the file and changed all the spaces to '-', as soon as it goes into that directory it is shown as the only file, remove it and the other 8 pop back up!

Just tried downloading a different file from the same source and adding it, absolutely fine, downloaded the fable official announce trailer, fine. Seems to be just this one video!!

Hi, we'll take a look at this. Thanks for reporting.

On 11/8/2023 at 11:43 AM, Cluttered said:

One more thing I have noticed. The other video I tried was "Alone In The Dark | Looking For Jeremy Trailer.mp4", it shows up but won't play, complains about no stream or something.

If I rename it and change the "|" to a "-" then it works perfectly.

Seems to be an issue with the way mac filenames/paths are handled. If I open the original file with the "|" charater using quicklook, quicktime or elmedia then they are all fine with it. If I convert it using permute (which also uses ffmpeg) then it's fine but when emby uses ffmpeg it gets upset.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 16.44.30.png

Right, known issue with transcoding for now with files that have | in their name. Thanks.

Cluttered

I know I should really create another topic for this but it's just a quickie.

In the Mac Emby app it shows the info bar briefly and that then vanishes which is great and exactly what it should do. BUT, for some reason it doesn't turn the mouse pointer off. So I have a lovely program playing with a very irritating black pointer still visible.

Is there a way to make it turn the pointer off?

23 hours ago, Cluttered said:

I know I should really create another topic for this but it's just a quickie.

In the Mac Emby app it shows the info bar briefly and that then vanishes which is great and exactly what it should do. BUT, for some reason it doesn't turn the mouse pointer off. So I have a lovely program playing with a very irritating black pointer still visible.

Is there a way to make it turn the pointer off?

Hi, do you mean during video playback?