New to Emby for Roku and confused

TCImler

I have been trying to rip dvd to a thumb drive and play thru Roku Media Player with no success

emby was suggested but I’m a bit confused. Is the “server” my laptop?  If so, I don’t want it hooked to the TV I have to use it

based on my initial description of my plan, how can I use Emby to make that happen?

Gilgamesh_48

Emby is a server/client system. You must have a server running on a computer (or other device that can be a server) on your network and you need a client like a Roku to run the client side software. 

Emby generally cannot play a file that has not been placed on a server.

In other words Emby will not do what you want. It is generally used for archiving a bunch of video or audio files and playing them on demand.

If all you want to do is play that one file there are a myriad of other ways to do that and one of them is using the Roku Media Player. If there is a file that will not play through RMP then you are doing something wrong with either the ripping or with your use of RMP. I would suggest asking about your issues over on Roku's forums.

Depending on the media you may not be able to play these on the Roku directly. Each Roku model only supports certain video formats. It is very difficult to determine if your media will play on the Roku directly.

This is where Emby comes in. Your laptop can run Emby as a local server using WiFi or Ethernet to talk to the Roku. Emby also contains a process that transforms(transcodes) the media into a format your specific Roku model can play. Emby can read the information from your Roku device to determine what it can play directly. Then Emby uses this information to determine each time you want to play something how it should be handled. You literally just have to press PLAY and Emby handles the rest.

Edited by speechles

• 5 months later...