Should I direct play or do transcoding.

Kriscoc87

Kriscoc87

I'm wanting to play videos that are in my android phone through my roku tv.  Both have emby installed.  I just did an Uninstall/reinstall because apparently whatever settings I was trying to use originally wouldn't work . I had no issue connecting to the server on the roku and adding folders to pull the videos from but every time I would try to play any of my videos, it would give an error of " no compatible files available" ( or something very similar). So what I need to know is , do I need to I use transcoding or is there a better way, and also should I tweak any of the Metadata settings  or change which folders I'm using as my media folders or does that even matter.  Sorry if this is too vague but just some general "  best practices" for using emby via Android 👉 roku.. 

Hi, direct play will use the fewest resources to play, so it's generally ideal. Transcoding is used when the device you're playing with doesn't support the media directly, so we convert it to a compatible format on the fly. Does that answer your question?

@Kriscoc87 How are you attempting to do this? Can you walk us through the steps you do?

----

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928

The easiest way to do this would be to just use the miracast screen mirror Roku does natively in the link above.

If you have these videos on your phone, then the best way to play them on Emby for Roku, would be to use the "Camera upload" feature of Emby to add the videos from your phone to your Emby library.

Edited by speechles