Little late to this party

rms8

I'm in awe at the moment seeing WMC being worked on.  Been a supporter since Media Browser (#1) !!!

Let me give the specs before the questions.

Server is stuck on v4.7.6.0 (due to WMC) running Win10 Home.

Main client in theater room is running Win7 with Emby v3.0.317.0 .  The Emby icon shows up in the WMC main menu.  I use TMT6 for viewing movies (configured via the configurator). I am using the DESTINY theme. 

Other clients throughout the home are running Emby Theater.

Questions:

1) Would I simply load the following onto a fresh Win7 install (or should I try one of the Win10 WMC work arounds?) :

image.png.cd9de634c73b2866a99993ddea8e8878.png

2) Does the above installation use the Configurator?

3) Will it look, feel, behave just like my current Win7 + Emby install and be able to use the same themes (like Destiny below)?

2023-11-0409_25_17-WindowsMediaCenter.thumb.png.e87b42870974af9befa6551e67a33396.png

2023-11-0409_27_12-WindowsMediaCenter.thumb.png.218b146584b5584b79677bcec4235faf.png

2023-11-0409_28_29-WindowsMediaCenter.thumb.png.13020ce25c3dba0c128d7ee3caea485f.png

Hi.  This is a UI for Emby that mimics WMC.  It is not running inside WMC or have any direct relation to it.

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This is a UI for Emby that mimics WMC.  It is not running inside WMC or have any direct relation to it.

Ah.  Okay.

So is it a UI for Emby Theater?  Would I be able to use themes on it?  I assumed the whole point of tackling this project would be to enable to WMC stalwarts (like myself) to be able to upgrade to the latest Server version and retain the beautiful themes available to WMC (TY Throg) and the plugins.

Is that not what this is?

Thanks EBR !

1 hour ago, rms8 said:

Would I be able to use themes on it?

No as this is basically a theme itself.

1 hour ago, rms8 said:

Is that not what this is?

Sorry, no.  This is just a "fun" project to allow folks to use an interface much like WMC.  WMC itself is very dead I'm afraid.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ebr said:

No as this is basically a theme itself.

Sorry, no.  This is just a "fun" project to allow folks to use an interface much like WMC.  WMC itself is very dead I'm afraid.

Ohhhh.  OK.  TY for the clarification.

So If I want to continue to revel in the beauty of the Destiny theme and have the configurability of plugins like CoverArt, I'll need to keep the server on 4.6 and leave my current Win7 Emby install as is.

Kinda thought it was too good to be true.  Incredible job none the less though!  So glad this community is still thriving.

The WMC UI brings back the original look & feel (the latter being more important IMO) of WMC as a front-end for Emby.

It is working standalone and independent of WMC, so you can run it on any device, even in a browser without installation.

What you are talking about is the MediaBrowser plugin for WMC and the WMC UI can't run that, because even though it looks and feels the same, it is technically fundamentally different.

What is working in the same way like in all other Emby apps are server-side plugins like CoverArt. But the UI itself will always have the blue UI of WMC.

You can try it out in a browser (a recent Chrome version is recommended) without installation: 

4 hours ago, rms8 said:

1) Would I simply load the following onto a fresh Win7 install (or should I try one of the Win10 WMC work arounds?) :

image.png.cd9de634c73b2866a99993ddea8e8878.png

This is equivalent to Emby Theater Windows Desktop (https://emby.media/emby-theater.html)

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 12:45 PM, rms8 said:

and have the configurability of plugins like CoverArt,

CoverArt is fully supported outside of WMC.

• 2 months later...
throgmorton

Very cool...

I downloaded to just have a look at the interface, it definitely replicates the WMC interface look and feel well.

I'm assuming it doesn't use the MCML language that the original WMC used to define pages/navigation/etc... and this is probably some sort of javascript which replicates the look and feel.

• Like 1

It's still the Emby core app under the hood, restyled with html/css and a few bits of custom code here and there. 

If you are interested in some kind of "making of", then you may take a read here: 

throgmorton

I understood it was the Emby core app, I was just wondering if you were using the original MCML code with some sort of wrapper but it sounds like all the pages are just html/css.  Main reason is that I was curious if it would be easy to port over my original themes, but it sounds like it would be a complete rewrite into html/css/javascript.

Edited by throgmorton

A large amount of the bitmaps is identical, so if you mainly customized via modifying the bitmap resources, that part would be doable, but still requires some effort, because a certain amount of bitmaps is modified or composed from existing bitmaps.

The CSS colors are parametrized and can be changed from a single place, but If your changes are about layout changes, then I would not recommend to even think about it. The total number of CSS code lines is about 14k  😮