New Build Questions

Zauberwaldi
Go to solution Solved by Q-Droid,

Zauberwaldi

Hi all.

Currently looking to Build a new Server. At the moment i have an HP Elitedesk G2 SSF with an i5 6500, 24gb DDR4 Ram and a Quadro P400.

The System runs ok, no problems so far. Except... Space for Drives. I have every USB Slot Connected with an HDD and thats... not Optimal.

If i would like to Only Switch the Case i need to Upgrade th Motherboard and PSU anyways because of the Sata Slots.

I plan on Building a new System because of this, and to save some money from Power.

I could add a NAS for the drives, but i use the PC at the TV Anyways, so i Planning on this:

Case: Fractal Design Node 804

MB: ASRock B660M Steel Legend

Ram: 32GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3200

CPU: Intel Core i3 12100 

SSD: 1TB Intenso Premium M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4  (Win 10 + Emby Cache)

PSU: 500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11

For my Non Emby Usage the System would be fine.

For Emby the Maximum i would need would be 1-2 4k Streams and max 4 1080p Streams,

so would this be an overkill? Is there anything i could Downgrade to save some €? Quicksync should be the way to go, no?

Is the PSU to low or to much for my needs? Only the CPU, Ram, 1 SSD + 8 Sata Drives would be needed

• Solution
Q-Droid

Nice build. Yes, QuickSync is the way to go.

The CPU will handle all of that and more. So think of it as future proofing. It's pretty much the sweet spot for a dedicated home media server.

The PSU is fine and going smaller will not gain you anything. The thing about smaller PSUs is there's lower demand for them so fewer options, features and often lower efficiency while the price isn't much lower.

RanmaCanada

if your current system is doing fine, why spend the money on new parts?  Build an UNRAID or TrueNAS server with older parts and have it on the network.  Just an idea.

Zauberwaldi

Thanks for your answers. @Q-Droidthats good to know, that less would do anything. so i keep the 500w

@RanmaCanadai would need a new case, motherboard and psu for that. the current case has not enough space for the drives, the motherboard not enough sata connectors and the psu is some hp stuff that has its own size + connection. So at this point i can buy the few upgrades that wouldnt be needed that much but its would be a new system. Ill buy it for ~550€ and would get ~180-200€ for the old one. So not that bad. I tought about an unraid system, but at the end i need windows on my tv and running 2 machines is a waste for my needings. My pc is always on if someone wants to watch something. And if its not (was never the case at this point) it can be turned on with wake on lan over the emby app.