Fallback Option for tonemapping on AMD HW

Jhp3507

This is a somewhat specific feature request. An option in the advanced transcoding menu would certainly suffice.

Situation:

Emby does not support HDR->SDR tonemapping in HW on AMD GPU/APUs.

Could it be implemented, that in these situations an automatic fallback to SW transcoding is done (if the Option is checked). All other „normal“ transcoding i.e. 4K SDR-> 1080p SDR would still be in HW.

At the moment I always need to manually switch to SW transcoding if i have to transcode a HDR file and watch it in a somewhat good looking way.

Thank you for the consideration.

GrimReaper

Doesn't selecting Enable HDR tonemapping with either hardware or software transcoding already do that, according helper text? 

I just double checked it.

Unfortunately this does not seem to work for me.

As long as HW transcoding is enabled, the picture is characteristically dim and dull. It shows that AMD AMF is used.

When I enable SW it correctly tonemaps the image (with an obviously higher load on the cpu).

@Jhp3507- Can you please post ffmpeg logs from the cases you mention?

In cases where software tone mapping is needed further processing depends on where scaling is required. 

If scaling is required, Emby Server will do the scaling first, because it is a much "cheaper" operation - and even more when we do the tone-mapping on the down-scaled-video rather than on the original video frames.

Edited by softworkz

rbjtech

So I don't see any tonemapping being done in the above ffmpeg command line - nor do i see a Processing Plan being listed ?

On a transcode with QSV (and I assume Nvidia) - you get something like this stated before the command -

>>>>>>  Processing Plan
        Name                                        CanDoInHW  WillDoInHW  Reason                                                 
        QuickSync Intel UHD Graphics 770 - H.... >> True       True        Hardware Codec                                          
        VideoInput                               >> True       True        Same adapter Id (0), same hardware context (D3D11)      
        Scaling                                  >> True       True                                                                
        ToneMapping (when possible)              >> True       True                                                                
        VideoOutput                              >> True       True        Hardware encoder                                        
        QuickSync Intel UHD Graphics 770 - H.... >> True       True        Hardware Codec                                          

>>>>>>  Video Processing Steps for [0:0]: H.265 (HEVC)
        Step                    HW-Context   Format       SW-Format           Size   Next
        HEVC_QSV             >> QSV          qsv          p010           3840x2160 >> vpp_qsv
        vpp_qsv              >> QSV          qsv          p010             720x404 >> setparams
        setparams            >> QSV          qsv          p010             720x404 >> hwmap
        hwmap                >> OPENCL       opencl       p010             720x404 >> tonemap_opencl
        tonemap_opencl       >> OPENCL       opencl       nv12             720x404 >> hwmap
        hwmap                >> QSV          qsv          nv12             720x404 >> 

This 'may' need the Diagnostics Option Plugin - do you have that installed ?

If TM is being included - then you can clearly see it in the ffmpeg line - in my example

-filter_complex "[0:0]vpp_qsv@f1=width=720:height=404:async_depth=8,setparams@f2=color_primaries=bt2020:color_trc=smpte2084:colorspace=bt2020nc,hwmap@f3=mode=+read:derive_device=opencl,tonemap_opencl@f4=tonemap=hable:format=nv12:desat=0,hwmap@f5=mode=+write:derive_device=qsv:reverse=1:extra_hw_frames=16[f5_out0]"

Edited by rbjtech