Live TV problems

gene0915
Go to solution Solved by mwongjay,

mwongjay
12 hours ago, gene0915 said:

Thank you both, that was the trick! Going into the MAIN settings section and after adjusting playback quality to 4K/160, live TV is automatically going to the max the station is pumping out and my 4K and 1080p Remux files are all streaming perfectly fine now!!

@mwongjaySince we're both having the same problem.... what is your network setup at home if you don't mind me asking? I have AT&T fiber and am using their BGW320-505 gateway and it's in passthrough mode to my ASUS AX86U router. Emby is running on an Intel box and using Debian 12.

Metronet 1 gbps symmetrical to a virtualized pfsense router. Emby running on an Unraid server in a docker container. Another container reverse proxies requests. All streaming boxes (fire tv, Apple TVs) hardwired. 

gene0915
On 11/30/2023 at 11:14 PM, mwongjay said:

Metronet 1 gbps symmetrical to a virtualized pfsense router. Emby running on an Unraid server in a docker container. Another container reverse proxies requests. All streaming boxes (fire tv, Apple TVs) hardwired. 

Not much in common with that setup :) ..... eh, so long as I have a work around I guess I'm good to go. As new versions of Emby come out, I'll keep checking to see if it's working correctly for my situation.

tedfroop21

Why changing resolution etc works?

Transcoding takes out embedded metadata.     I have spent the last couple weeks chasing my tail on this.  Futurama TV show has some issues with image quality in places so I have been ripping it nine ways from Sunday to try to eliminate them. 

First I find MKV's skip, all kinds of ripping skips suddenly.  Bad disks?  No.  Just ripped a file in 4 different formats, h264, h265, and the same with QSV and NVENC encoders.  They ALL skip in the exact same spots.   But the files play fine on a PC.

Turned off "pass through common metadata"  on Handbrake and ripped it again?   Boom.....skipping is gone.  Just played three episodes and they all played without skipping.

If you change the resolution and it transcodes it automatically drops the pass through meta data,  so it plays with out skips.....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
gene0915
Posted (edited)

@LukeLooks like by using @mwongjay's solution, a new problem has popped up:

... when the camera pans down the rows of ladies, this garbled video (not sure of the technical name) is what my brother sees during fast camera pans in football. It only lasts a second but is annoying. If he manually changes the max rate to 1080/30 or 720/10, this doesn't happen. So his choices are, use mwongjay's solution and deal with a second if garbled video every time the camera does a fast pan while watching football games (which has LOTS of fast pans :) ).....,  or go back to having to manually adjust the resolution every time he watches TV like how I detailed in my OP and avoid this video bug.

Any idea what causes that video screw up when using mwongjay's fix?

Thanks

Edited by gene0915

13 hours ago, gene0915 said:

Any idea what causes that video screw up when using mwongjay's fix?

Hi.  That is just poor quality video - too much information to fit into the bits being sent.

gene0915
On 1/9/2024 at 11:16 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  That is just poor quality video - too much information to fit into the bits being sent.

But if he changes the stream quality to 1080/30 or 720/10 (depending on which station he's watching football on) he never sees those video glitches.