English subtitle displaying as other language on Samsung Tizen

tattler
Go to solution Solved by MediaEmby1968,

tattler

Hi I noticed this strange subtitle behaviour. I have a movie that has built-in SUBRIP Romanian and English subtitles. I also added an external English subtitle as default. When I play the movie in Chrome, the subtitle is displaying in the correct language. However, when playing the same movie and same subtitle (English) on Samsung Tizen, it is displaying other language (i think it is Romanian). Very strange. What can cause this behaviour?

I am running the latest Emby Server version 4.7.14 on Synology DS-920+. Tizen client version is 1.2.6.

i have attached some screenshots: one from Samsung TV With stats for nerds turned on, one in Chrome and also a screenshot of the subtitle content.

Thank you!

20231028_093058.jpg

20231028_093139.jpg

20231028_093207.jpg

tattler

I think there is a bug in the Tizen app: when there is already an internal default (foreign language) subtitle, Emby app on Samsung TV displays the default internal subtitle instead of the default external one. I can reproduce this with another movie which has a foreign default internal subtitle language. 

Please take a look at this? Thank you!

• Solution
MediaEmby1968

I would try to update the version of emby on Samsung... you say you have 1.2.6 and the last one that emby has is 1.6.5. from usb...The one you have is the one that Samsung comes with, which is not updated yet...

tattler

Hi @MediaEmby1968thank you for the info. At first the Emby Tizen app is not available in the Netherlands so I used Smart DNS from my VPN service provider to bypass regional blocking to install Emby. I read elsewhere that it is now available in my country? I will wait for your good news when the app in the Samsung app store is updated 😉

I love Emby and am now a fully converted Emby user from Plex! 😉 Once my monthly subscription is up I will purchase a lifttime license!

MediaEmby1968

The emby application is already in your country... here you can see it...

but just because it is in your country does not mean that the application is updated... I am in Spain and I am worse than you... in the sense that the version that appears on Samsung is 1.0.94. That's why I've always used it, installing it from USB (it's cumbersome this way that you have to install it every time a new version comes out) normally every month... But it's updated, which is better. Here is the link in case you want to install a newer version

And here so you can see the version when it comes ou

• Like 1

tattler

Hi I know the Tizen app can be installed via USB but I cannot get to the back of the TV now because it is fixed on the wall. It is a big TV so this method is not really useful to me. I would like to wait for the new updated Tizen app on Samsung store.

Strange that the app offered in Samsung app store has different versions? I wondered how long will it take to get all versions in Samsung app store updated to the latest version?

MediaEmby1968

I suppose the version, apart from the fact that it is from different countries, will also have to look at the TV model (mine is a Samsung from 2016) I suppose that is why I get an older version.

As for how long it will take... I think it will take... but I have no idea... from what I have read here, the process for the Samsung ones is slow.

As for your problem... Have you tried removing the subtitles embedded in the file, which are default, and leaving only the external sub by default?

tattler

No I just removed the Default flag in the internal subtitle but it still doesn't work. I do not want to remove the internal subtitle for every movie and it is very time consuming. I prefer not to do anything with the media itself.

It is not really a big dealbreaker as it affects only a small collection of the movies. At least I know now that it is an outdated version that causes it.

Just a question: my Samsung TV is from 2019. Will the latest version work on it? Model UE70RU7092UXXH.

Regards.

UE70RU7092UXXH
UE70RU7092UXXH
UE70RU7092UXXH
UE70RU7092UXXH
Edited by tattler

MediaEmby1968

They released the USB version a long time ago and I think it was because only in the US, Ireland and England... they could be installed from the Samsung app. So I think the new version would work.

I also tell you that I don't know if it solves the problem for you... I said about updating... because the version you have installed is already old and there are many things about subtitles that have been solved along the way... at least it is what I have read.

And I expressed myself wrong, I meant to uncheck the option to have the subtitle as default and thus leave only the external one as default.

greetings

tattler

Thank you for the clarification. At the moment it is not possible to install the newest version from Samsung app store. Chances are they won't be available in the coming months! Well, it is an excuse for me to avoid any Samsung Tizen TV in the future! 😉

18 hours ago, tattler said:

Strange that the app offered in Samsung app store has different versions?

They seem to get reviewed separately by different people at Samsung for different models, and some reviews happen faster than others, and some occasionally get rejected if they have a problem. This leads to having lots of different versions in the store.

tattler

Hi @LukeI did a workaround and reset the Samsung SmartHUB and selected United States of America as the country but the Emby app there is still the old version 1.2.6. Which country has now the latest version in the Samsung app store? Or I presumed not yet at all?

I followed this guide: 

Edited by tattler

9 hours ago, tattler said:

Hi @LukeI did a workaround and reset the Samsung SmartHUB and selected United States of America as the country but the Emby app there is still the old version 1.2.6. Which country has now the latest version in the Samsung app store? Or I presumed not yet at all?

I followed this guide: 

All of them but it varies per model.

tattler

I saw your comment here: 

So let's hope de latest version for my Samsung 2019 TV will be available before the end of this year! 😉

• Thanks 1

tattler

Oh just a question: the intro skip button does not work in this version (1.2.6). Is it correct? I have Emby Premiere and I also enabled for intro skip detection in the library but never see the button appeared.

Thanks for the reply!

6 hours ago, tattler said:

Oh just a question: the intro skip button does not work in this version (1.2.6). Is it correct? I have Emby Premiere and I also enabled for intro skip detection in the library but never see the button appeared.

Thanks for the reply!

Hi, it hadn’t been added yet in 1.2.6 I don’t think. You will need a newer app version for that feature.

tattler

Ok thanks Luke. I guess I will have to either wait for the new version in Samsung app store or get a new Android TV 😉

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
tattler

Hi I eventually went the USB route to manually install the latest Emby app (1.6.6). I can confirm that the subtitle is working now and the Skip Intro button appears when watching series. So my issues have been solved by the latest version of Emby app on Samsung Tizen TV 😉

• Thanks 1