transcoding-temp folder: does it ever get auto-cleaned?

Architekt
Go to solution Solved by jaycedk,

Architekt

I'm running Emby on OMV (just a Debian distro for media serving), not in a docker container. Anyway, I noticed that my /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp directory had grown to about 85GB in size over a week (had a lot of people streaming). A server reboot cleaned it up, but I was wondering if it ever automatically cleans these temp files up itself? I'm not sure if there's an option somewhere or I misconfigured something, or it just doesn't auto cleanup that folder. Thanks!

BTW I'd just like to express my gratitude towards the devs: I had been on Plex for so long, and switching to Emby has been nothing short of a massive upgrade, not just for me, but everyone that I let streams off it tells me it's a much better experience for them. So I bought a lifetime sub. Easily worth it.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
6 hours ago, Architekt said:

A server reboot cleaned it up, but I was wondering if it ever automatically cleans these temp files up itself?

Yeah, it should, though on some configurations it happens that it doesn't always work. 

6 hours ago, Architekt said:

I'm not sure if there's an option somewhere or I misconfigured something, or it just doesn't auto cleanup that folder

There's no particular option that you misconfigured, it just doesn't auto-cleanup. Had similar occurence long time sgo under Windows installation as well, ended up creating scheduled task for transcode folder daily cleanup. 

• Thanks 1

• Solution
jaycedk

I use this script, to clean up in Unraid, and run it daily via cron job.

It will delete files and folders older than 1 day, under parent dir.

#!/bin/bash
find /Path to/transcoding-temp/* -mtime +1 -delete

Edited by jaycedk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Architekt
3 hours ago, jaycedk said:

I use this script, to clean up in Unraid, and run it daily via cron job.

It will delete files and folders older than 1 day, under parent dir.

#!/bin/bash
find /Path to/transcoding-temp/* -mtime +1 -delete

Thanks a ton for that bash script. I'll use that. I wasn't sure if a blanket nuke of the contents of the subfolders was OK to do or not (the reboot left a couple super tiny folders in there) but it apparently is.

jaycedk

Yes it should be ok.

Thats why I have set it to 1 day old deletion.

The only problem I can think of is If someone watching Le-man 24h race, and want to rewind to start 😁

Edited by jaycedk
  • Haha 1