Why so many missing artists?

Darren & Gemma

Darren & Gemma

Hi.

One thing that Plex seems so much better at, is the downloading of the Artist images within an audio library.

I have 100's if not 1000's of artists whos image is blank, yet its picked up the metadata from Discogs, Musicbrainz and AudioDB. Take the below image as an example, at the very top of the artist list, there are some very well known artists, like 50 Cent and ABBA, yet missing the artist image.

I can obviously fix this by using the identify feature and add the Discogs or Musicbrainz ID, but with so many to do, it would take hours if not days to do manually.

Any ideas on how to fix this @Luke?

Thanks

Artists.JPG

50 Cent.JPG

• Agree 1

Darren & Gemma

Something I have noticed, is that a lot of the artists are songs where they appear on a compilation album, which has an Album Artist of 'Various Artists' 

50 Cent for example i have 1 song, and its on 3 different compilation albums, not on an album by 50 Cent. Would this have an impact on its ability to download the image? Same goes for ABBA, i have 2 song which appear on 4 different compilation albums, not an ABBA album specifically.

Yet the 3 links for ABBA to Discogs, MusicBrainz and AudioDB are all correctly linked.

With that said, I do have artists with their own full albums, for example, Black Eyed Peas (see below), and the library structure is perfectly built using Artist / Album / Songs

Any help would be appreciated

BEP.JPG

Folder Structure.JPG

rbjtech

I think this is a bug - mine are largely missing as well (as Artists) - but if I individually Refresh an Artists metadata - the image is downloaded, but if I attempt to Refresh the metadata at the Music library level - the missing images are NOT downloaded.    

@ebr@Luke- FYI

HI, unless you have the server log from when the artist was originally imported, then this is the fix:

I can obviously fix this by using the identify feature

Darren & Gemma

Manually tagging 1000s of artist is definitely not the fix.

I added them quite some time ago, to get a log file, should I remove that particular music library, do a vacuum and then re-add the library again. If the same result, share the log file @Luke?

Yes but make sure to complete a scan of all libraries first before adding it back. You need to get the artists cleared out of the database, meaning not even being able to find them via search.

Darren & Gemma

@LukeI removed the library, scanned all remaining librarys, did a Vacuum and then re-added the initial music library.

It's still going through the metadata pulling process, but initial signs are that it's retrieving a lot more artist images 👍

Will report back when the process is finished.

Darren & Gemma

Hi @Luke - I can safely say that following the instructions has done the job!

For anyone else with lots of missing artists who come across this thread, do the following:

1. Remove library in question
  2. Run a FULL library scan on ALL library's (might take some time if you have loads of content.
  3. Once complete, do a database vacuum and restart.
  4. Re-add the library and make sure you select all available metadata finders for the library, and have Discogs and Musicbrainz plugins installed.

Then you get this...... (Obviously i have a few artists where I will need to apply the image, but its very few now!) 🙂

Artists2.JPG

Edited by Darren & Gemma
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
33 minutes ago, Darren & Gemma said:

Hi @Luke - I can safely say that following the instructions has done the job!

For anyone else with lots of missing artists who come across this thread, do the following:

1. Remove library in question
  2. Run a FULL library scan on ALL library's (might take some time if you have loads of content.
  3. Once complete, do a database vacuum and restart.
  4. Re-add the library and make sure you select all available metadata finders for the library, and have Discogs and Musicbrainz plugins installed.

Then you get this...... (Obviously i have a few artists where I will need to apply the image, but its very few now!) 🙂

Artists2.JPG

Thanks for the info.

So while this resolves the immediate issue - it's not great that a full metadata refresh does not get the artist information.

What would happen if the metadata providers were not available next time you added a new album ?   

The Artist metadata images should be downloaded when you request to replace the metadata - in the logs, you can clearly see the 'request' for the Artist, but nothing is downloaded - I personally see this as an ongoing bug....

Darren & Gemma

I don't disagree, because I still have a good few number where it has identified the artist, matched it against Discogs, where there is an artist image, but failed to download it. Even if I try and refresh metadata just on the one artist it doesnt download anything. I have to manually identify via Discogs ID and it will then update.

@LukeHere is the latest log from my server. Can you see anything?

embyserver.txt

Darren & Gemma

I would also like to add that even manually trying to identify via the Discogs ID, doesn't always work.

I have this artist missing an image: https://www.discogs.com/artist/3276451, who clearly has an image, yet, it returns:

No items matching your search criteria were found.

Log attached after i try and manually identify this artist, and get no result

embyserver (1).txt

On 10/28/2023 at 10:47 AM, Darren & Gemma said:

I don't disagree, because I still have a good few number where it has identified the artist, matched it against Discogs, where there is an artist image, but failed to download it. Even if I try and refresh metadata just on the one artist it doesnt download anything. I have to manually identify via Discogs ID and it will then update.

@LukeHere is the latest log from my server. Can you see anything?

embyserver.txt 61.9 MB · 0 downloads

What example are we looking at here?