Remote Control of Emby Fire Stick Users

Max Overdrive
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Max Overdrive

My memory may be failing me, but I'm pretty sure that with an admin account I used to be able to remote control my Fire Stick users. Both options in Remote Control are checked for the admin account in question.

Is this something that has changed in the past year or so? Is there something I need to do in order to be able to remote control these devices? Just looking for basic stop/start play functionality.

Max Overdrive

Sorry @ebr on rereading this I realized I wasn't very specific. When going to "Manage Server" on the Emby dashboard I see what's in the screenshot below when a user is playing content (I tested with one of my own devices as well and realized it's not just Fire Sticks that I don't seem to be able to control).

Did there not used to be a stop/play buttons at the bottom of the interface in the screenshot? Maybe this functionality has moved somewhere else and I'm just missing where it moved to?

Quick edit: I should mention I'm looking at the interface in the Emby Theater client (v3.0.21) on Windows.

Screenshot2023-10-25231033.thumb.png.d2d279617644a33be736210e6d2a536c.png

Edited by Max Overdrive
Specify OS and Client

8 hours ago, Max Overdrive said:

I should mention I'm looking at the interface in the Emby Theater client (v3.0.21) on Windows

Hi.  What happens if you do it in the web app?

Is this device in your local network?

Max Overdrive

Just tested this out in the web app and everything works as it should (with both a device on the local network and a device not on the local network).

And no, the device in question is not on the local network. But testing with both local and remote device produces the same result (regardless of type of playback device) -- no ability to remote control devices through the Emby Theater app on Windows.

• Thanks 1

Max Overdrive

Sorry, not to belabour the point here, but should this be working in Emby Theater (am I remembering correctly that one used to be able to control user playback through there)? Or is the current behaviour I'm describing desired?

• Solution

You may want to check that the display mode setting in Theater is not set to TV. In TV display mode, the remote control functions are not available.

Max Overdrive

That was the reason, thanks Luke. Out of curiosity, why are those functions not available in TV display mode?

Max Overdrive

I guess that's true. Wasn't sure if there was a technical reason or it just wasn't desired functionality in that mode. Sounds like the latter.

Either way, you've answered my question - I changed to desktop display mode and the feature is again working. Thanks again for your help, issue solved.

• Thanks 1