4K movies freeze at startup or when resumed

mchu168

Hi there,

I have an odd issue when playing 4K movies using Emby Theater and the Emby Chrome client on my M1 MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.0. Whenever I start a 4K movie or resume a 4K movie in progress, playback freezes on a black screen or the last frame from the movie in progress. I don't get any error messages. However, from this frozen state, if I press skip back or skip forward, the movie with start playing or resume as normal. I have have no issues with playback after performing this extra step.

This only happens with 4K movies. HD and SD movies start and resume normally. Another bit of information: I had to disable video transcoding for playback on my MBP, otherwise Emby would transcode every 4K movie even with hardwired 1G ethernet, etc. With transcoding disabled and via direct play, 4K movies run smoothly with no lag or stutter after I initially do the skip forward/backward trick mentioned above. 

Also note, I have none of these issues on Windows 11 with Emby Theater or Chrome. 4K movies play perfectly without transcoding or freezing.

Any ideas?

Mike

log.txt

Edited by mchu168

Sorry this post should be in the MacOS server area... I'm running Emby server on Windows 11, but my problem is with playback on a MacBook Pro.

• 4 weeks later...