Backup erroring out

QuarkZ
Go to solution Solved by QuarkZ,

Hello,

I'm trying to backup Emby but it's failing. I'm on EndeavourOS

*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.14.0
	Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /usr/bin/ffdetect-emby -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg-emby -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe-emby -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Linux version 6.5.7-arch1-1 (linux@archlinux) (gcc (GCC) 13.2.1 20230801, GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.41.0) #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:10:
	Framework: .NET 6.0.23
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: usr/share/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/6.0.23/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 16
	Data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application path: /usr/lib/emby-server
	System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: Read-only file system : '/home/quarkz/Documents/EmbyBackup/Emby Backup - 2023-10-20 17.13.33 - Auto'
	   at System.IO.FileSystem.CreateDirectory(String fullPath)
	   at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.CreateDirectory(String path)
	   at MBBackup.ServerEntryPoint.ExecuteBackup(BackupProfile settings, CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress, Boolean isAuto)
	   at MBBackup.Entities.ScheduledBackupTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void CreateDirectory(System.String)

It seems to be tied to the fact that '/var/lib/emby' goes in fact to 'var/lib/private/emby' and 'private' isn't accessible by the user. No, the file system isn't read-only, it's all on ext4.

I run Emby under my own user in order to simplify permissions. Everything else seems to be working just fine, I just can't backup. I tried modifying the permissions but then Emby simply fails to start. Any thoughts?

Also, why is private/emby used instead of directly emby?

Thanks

Alright, so I went check the Wiki because I couldn't really understand why it wasn't working and realized that my media was also read-only (though that is still on NTFS currently)

I tried using the default emby, using a dummy folder and it worked, but I didn't want to deal with changing permissions everywhere, and after tweaking the only thing that was actually missing and required in the service is:

ReadWritePaths=/mnt/media_files
UMask=0002

So, you can effectively override the user/group in order to keep the permissions and avoid having to create the media group and update all the permissions, doing the following

systemctl edit emby-server.service

Then modify the conf as follow

### Anything between here and the comment below will become the contents of the drop-in file

[Service]
User=your_username (e.g. quarkz)
Group=your_group (e.g. quarkz)
ReadWritePaths=/path/to/media
ReadWritePaths=/path/to/some/other/media
UMask=0002

### Edits below this comment will be discarded

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, where is private/emby coming into play? I don't see that path in your log file.

It was mostly a separate question. But I'm guessing it's a Linux thing, not Emby. I just thought that the error was because that folder wasn't readable.

I have to add for clarity, that I backup into one of those "readwritepaths", all my media is under there. So adding that path effectively allowed the backup to proceed.

• Thanks 1