4k mkv freezes while playing

hjason7812

hjason7812

why do 4k mkv movies freeze shortly after playing but tvshow mkv files play without a problem? 

the movie is straight from a uhd disc and so are the shows but the shows play while the movies freeze. It makes no sense to me as to why. 

The mkv file has all subs and all audio plus the codes is h264 within the mkv container. 

hjason7812
On 10/20/2023 at 2:44 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Sorry took so long to reply I was doing more testing on my devices. I have figured out the freezing only happens on my Google tv app nothing else freezes. I'm using the default Google tv app that I downloaded and installed from the play store on my tv.. 

rbjtech

What about Video bitrate and Audio codecs ?

I suspect Movies will have a bitrate of 50-100 Mbit/sec and very likely to have True-HD or DTS-HD Audio, while TV Shows, even from a UHD disk, will be likely to have only a 30-40 Mbit bitrate and possibly only Dolby Digital+ Audio - as they need to fit multiple episodes on the disk.

Subsequently, I suspect the Movies may be transcoding, the TV Shows/Episodes not.

The google TV App is perfectly capable of playing very high bitrate 4K Remux's.

We need a log/ffmpeg log to confirm.

Edited by rbjtech

hjason7812
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

What about Video bitrate and Audio codecs ?

I suspect Movies will have a bitrate of 50-100 Mbit/sec and very likely to have True-HD or DTS-HD Audio, while TV Shows, even from a UHD disk, will be likely to have only a 30-40 Mbit bitrate and possibly only Dolby Digital+ Audio - as they need to fit multiple episodes on the disk.

Subsequently, I suspect the Movies may be transcoding, the TV Shows/Episodes not.

The google TV App is perfectly capable of playing very high bitrate 4K Remux's.

We need a log/ffmpeg log to confirm.

The uhd bluray is fully ripped in lossless form whatever it is on the disc is the way it is on the server. 

On my Google tv app it defaults at 80mb/s quality when I sideload the standard app I should be able to adjust the bitrate quality right now i can't it does it automatically with the playstore default app  

Also it is ripped into the mkv format because it holds all the quality subs and audio selections in the container. And also again the Movies and shows both aren't transcoding at all when playing because I've turned the ability to transcode off its not needed with my server setup

Edited by hjason7812

hjason7812
On 10/23/2023 at 3:10 PM, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

OK I finally got it sideloaded and tried it out and it works flawlessly it also looks a whole lot better than the default play store one. Thank you for the suggestion and link  have a great night 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...